Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive breaking chassis!?

Last response: in Storage
May 14, 2009 9:23:20 PM

So, I had a hard drive chassis burn out on my the other day. I was told it might be an issue with the wrong power supply. So I looked inside and I saw the burn point, looked like the hard drive might be alright. It was suggested to me to take that hard drive and put it in another chassis to see if that would work. Unfortunately, that chassis immediately burnt out to and the smell was almost immediately noticeable.

My question is, what is going on? I used the exact same chassis it should be in, double check the power supply, how is the hard drive causing the chassis to burn out?
a b G Storage
May 15, 2009 5:55:49 AM

The hard drive is probably faulty and is shorting the power supply.
May 15, 2009 9:26:00 AM

Yes, sorry it is the enclosure itself that is being burnt out. There's a circuit board that fries in the same spot every time.
Related resources
May 15, 2009 4:41:37 PM

yea, there is probably a short of some kind on the board on the hard drive. Its happened before. Don't put that drive in anything else, and junk it. If you need the data off of it, you could try swapping the board on the drive with another one from a Drive that is exactly the same (firmware and all) if you have the resources.
May 15, 2009 7:37:42 PM

I can't junk it, unfortunately, and I have no idea how to swap the board on the drive. I wouldn't really do that, but is there a resource that could explain how I would?
!