XFX 780i Chipset Fan, Watercooling and Overclocking

flameboy_gaara

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Hi

My aim is to get my computer as silent as possible...

I'm using a Zalman Reserator 1V2 watercooling because its nice and fanless

I use the computer for everything...mainly gaming..but also use photoshop now and again

Main problem is the supplied chipset fan...it's quite a noisy piece of work....

Would it be wise to remove it and leave the chipset fanless?
The case im using has good airflow and I have a 250mm chassis fan blowing directly onto the motherboard
The air exhausted out of the back of the case is always very cool..even after gaming....

Also note that i have overclocked the CPU to 3.0Ghz default voltage

Idle Temps: Depends heavily on ambient room temp - Right now with central heating on..its 35, 30, 35, 27
Load Temps: 55, 50, 55, 49 (After 6 hours Prime 95)

So yeah the question again if you've lost me....

Do I still need to use the chipset fan??

...I've put in as much detail as possible so please can you let me know whenever!!

Thanks

XFX 780i MOtherboard
Q6600 @ 3.01Ghz - Default Voltage
Zalman Reserator 1V2 Watercooling
Corsair Dominator 2 x 1Gb 5-5-5-12
BFG 8800GTS OC 512Mb
X-Fi Extreme Gamer Sound Card
2 x Litescribe DVD+/-RW
RAptor X 150Gb
WD 250Gb SATA 2
Seagate Baracuda 250Gb SATA1
Enermax Galaxy 850W
Thermaltake KAndalf Supertower

AgentK

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Hi there

I have the same motherboard and can confirm that the chipset fan is indeed a noisy little beastie!

In the bios you can set the fan to a minimum of 30% of full speed but it's still by far the loudest fan in the machine. It is approximately 60mm in size.

I also want my computer to be as silent as possible and I suppose I would like to know the answer to whether the chipset fan can be removed.

From a little bit of googling I have learnt that some people think the chipset fan can be removed provided there is sufficient airflow.

I have an Antec 300 case with 120mm fan at the front and rear and a 140mm fan at the top. I can also mount an extra 120mm at the front and one on the side. The extra side panel fan will ultimately blow directly onto the chipset.

My concern is that adding more larger fans will just make more noise in order to remove the chipset fan.

I suspect this will be sufficient airflow to remove the chipset fan and will post back with results once it has been removed for a while. I'll also update on temp changes, before and after.

Specs:
XFX 780i SLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Standard Intel Cooling
XFX GTX 260 896MB DDR3 216Core
Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix
Western Digital 500GB SATA II
Antec 300 Case
Antec TruePower 650W Modular PSU