Sign in with
Your question

2gb to 4gb on Asus p5b issues (& I'm not asking why I can't see 4gb!)

Last response: in Memory
May 17, 2008 9:22:06 PM

Just purchased an additional (2) 1gb sticks for total of (4) 1gb sticks. System doesn't seem to recognize more than 2gb.

Yes - I understand I can't use the full 4gb under 32bit OS memory addressing.
No - I am not going to install XP 64bit or Vista. Both offer limited, or no driver support for the applications/drivers I use (this is a DAW)

Windows XP Pro SP3
Motherboard: Asus P5b with latest bios 1803
North Bridge Intel P965 Express
South Bridge Intel ICH8
Memory Remapping = disabled (I understand memory remap is only to be used for 64bit systems)
On boot reports: 2048 RAM (with remap=disable. When remap=enable boot reports all 4gb)

Cards using memory:
(3) UAD-1 card @ 128Mb = 384Mb
(1) MSI NX8600GT @ 256MB
No other cards installed
Total = 640Mb
Assuming a handful of other devices, lets say I am going to give up about 1gb of the 4gb installed. With all that said, XP should see about 3gb of RAM.

CPUZ reports all 4gb
memtest passes on all memory.
msinfo seems to see it under all boot variances (see below)

However, System Properties reports 2.00GB and Windows task master reports 2096236 under all different boot scenarios.

-------------------------------------------------------
Using default boot.ini
advanced > chipset > north bridge configuration > Memory Remapping = disabled
on boot bios reports: 2048
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

System properties ---------------------
Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
2.40 Ghz 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

MSINFO32 ----------------------------
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.60 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB

Windows task Manager ---------------------
Physical memory
total: 2096236

Available: 1730808

Using boot.ini with /3gb switch
I understand that the /3gb switch doesn't change the available system memory, it simply allows certain application the ability to use of to 3gb for the application. Strangely though, it gives me seemingly very different readings in msinfo32

System properties ---------------------
Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
2.40 Ghz 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

MSINFO32 ----------------------------
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.96 GB

Page File Space 3.91 GB

Windows task Manager ---------------------
Physical memory
total: 2096236

Available: 1787400

UGGHHH :heink: 
I've played around with the /PAE and noexecute=alwaysoff switches, but no real difference.

So am I stoopid or what? Shouldn't System Properties and Windows Task Manager be reporting approx 3GB RAM ??? Someone out there must have some ideas.

TIA !!
May 18, 2008 3:37:03 AM

I originally found documentation saying the UAD1's used 128k of address space, but since have found conflicting info saying 256. So that would be approx 750Mb.

I have 1 PCI and 2 PCIe UAD1 cards. I took the 1 PCI card out and it made no difference. I took all three out and windows then reported 3GB RAM.

I've seen others report using three UAD1 cards and get 2.75 - 3GB RAM. I was hoping for that, but for whatever reason, looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Oh well. Guess I yank the new memory and send it back. Maybe DAW software/drivers will be ready for 64bit in another year or two...

Thanks for your time

cheers.
May 24, 2008 6:07:12 PM

Hey !!! Have just read your blog- cant believe it, im in exactly same situation. Ive just bought a music PC from Inta Audio to set up a DAW, the PC is the X4S (check out their web site). Its specs are; Q6600 2.4ghz, 4gb RAM, total 750gb hardrive, motherboard ASUS P5B. OS is XP pro 32 bit.
Ive been running all sorts of tests to measure available RAM and getting different results each time- have just installed EXPERTool version; 6.2 which under 'information' gives me 2048mb RAM but under 'direct x' gives me 3008mb RAM. Im a novice at these sort of things, im trying to find out if my PC was tweeked for max RAM when it was built or if i can find ways to improve its total RAM available. At the moment im filling my head with all sorts- PAE, AWE API, Boot.ini ect. Your blog is very interesting, i will keep my eye on this space. If i come up with some answers i will let you know & vice versa. Ive spent loads of cash on this PC+controller keyboard, sound card, monitors, headphones ect- I wish i had known about 32bit OS and 4gb RAM problem before splashing out! I hope we can get some answers, all the best and good luck.
!