Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New Case, PSU, Cooling for My Mid-Range system?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 23, 2008 2:57:03 PM

Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked before but I need help with a (IMHO) unique set of requirements.

I have a uATX system as follows:

Asus P5K-VM Mobo
intel c2q Q6600 CPU @ 2.8 GHz

Themaltake Silent 775D Cpu Cooler
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-...

4x1 GB DDR2 800
1x250 GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA (Mac OSX)
1x20 GB IDE HDD (WinXP)
1xIDE DVD-R
nVidia 7600GT

in an Ultra MicroFly case with 400w Ultra V-Series PSU
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

Please don't tell me this PSU is garbage, I already know. My system only draws a max of 205 W at the wall under full load and approx 120 W idle.

The computer lives in a cabinet under a small corner unit desk in my bedroom. I only run the computer with the cabinet doors open and only run the computer when it is being used, I have a PIII server with 1.2TB storage sitting right beside it outside the desk.

My problems right now are heat (processor 45oC Idle & up to 68-70oC Load), and Noise, I run the processor fan ( a Zalman 92 mm) at full speed all the time. The Processor Idles at 35oC when the computer case is open (top and sides off).

I want to overclock beyond 2.8GHz, but am afraid to. Will a new case and power supply help this? I am thinking of an antec sonata III, because I cant beat $100 for the case and 500w earthwatts PSU. Is this case a step up in cooling? I know I will be able to use a CM Hyper TX2 or something in the case which should improve the CPU cooling, but if the case is full of hot air this won't help will it?

I want to get away from uATX. I dont think my PSU's cables are long enough for a mid tower and I dont really trust the Ultra v-series anyway.

Total budget is ~$150 CDN, can I do better than Sonata III and Hyper TX2? I'm not a fan of the case door on the Sonata. Is my system in the small desk going to benefit if air flow is limited to begin with?

Thanks,

Cy

More about : case psu cooling mid range system

April 23, 2008 8:41:45 PM

Anyone?
April 23, 2008 11:10:55 PM

If the PSU is working fine i would transplant it into another case (which i believe will better your temps).

You could find something like a Antec900 for around that price and grab something like a Zalman9700 that has a bigger fan and therefore less noise.

Im not sure what the CDN $ is like at the moment but i dont think that kind of setup will have you much over your budget
April 24, 2008 2:49:48 AM

The leads on the PSU are WAY too short for a standard mid tower let alone anything like an Antec 900. I had an E6550 in the system at one point and could not overclock it past 2.6GHz, in another system the processor hit 3.2GHz, I suspect PSU instability / voltage ripple in holding back my max FSB with the system, b/c the P5K-VM is supposed to overclock FSB 1333 C2D Procs like a champ.