Yet another new build evaulation

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I would like to throw my hat into the new build arena, and query the ever knowledgeable members here about 2 possible builds.

Newegg wishlist links to the two are
Non-SLI almost budget build

and

SLI, upgradeable build

The second build is more intended to allow me to tinker and add components for a decent amount of time, while the first build is nearly complete.

I will be using this for gaming, mostly RPG and Diablo types of games, so playing Crysis is not an issue. My budget has a hard ceiling of $1000, and I would like to spend less if possible.

I have monitor, peripherals and optical drives already, and enough other drives for storage space, so the primary HDD needs to be performance based not raw storage.

I'm looking for advice on the best places in the build to push, and where I can pull back to make more room in the budget.

Thanks for your thoughts.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I'm curious as to why you would skimp on the PSU for the SLI build, but go with a higher quality one for the non-SLI build... for the SLI system, I would go with a PC P&C Silencer 750W. For the non-SLI system, I would go with the Corsair 550VX. Also for the non-SLI system, don't get the 320MB 8800GTS. Go for either a 8800GT or a 512 8800GTS (G92).

Since you're looking for performance out of the HDD, I would move up to the 16MB cache version of the one you picked, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, or the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 in order of increasing price/performance.

Looks otherwise fine to me. :D

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
This is why I ask. Honestly, the power supply for the SLI build was chosen before looking for a cheaper (cost wise) power supply for the other build when I found a Tier1 supply. I think the PC P&C Silencer looks good for the SLI build (even if I don't get it at the cheaper price). That brings the SLI build to $60 from max budget.

Going with the Barracuda 7200.11 pretty much kills the rest of the budget. Is there anywhere to lower a component and upgrade a different part (video card to 8800GT or 8600GTS and proc to a full Core 2 duo).

How is this for an updated build?

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Honestly, if you're really strapped for cash and only play stuff like Diablo, I would consider going for your single-GPU system. With the 8800GTS, you should still be able to play practically anything but Crysis at high settings. Then you could upgrade to a newer video card in the future when you need more power.

For the single-GPU setup, you can save some money by changing the PSU to a Corsair 550VX:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-550w-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/205852646.html