Transfer files from removed Laptop Hard drive

1Andrew1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
My laptop died and I removed the hard drive.

I hooked the hard drive up to my new laptop via a SATA/IDE cable.

I can see the old hard drive in the E drive and it appears that all the contents are there by the size of the hard drive (same as when I had it in the old laptop) but I can only see, actually view, a very small percentage of the drive.

My goal: I want to transfer all old music, word documents and photos from old laptop into new laptop.

My issue: I can't see most of the files or I don't seem to have total access.

The ingredients being used:

Old lap top was a hp pavillion ze4500 with about 27 gig fuijitsu hard drive

New laptop is hp with 80 gig hard drive

Both systems are running XP.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

your going to set the old drive to "slave" if it's an IDE drive. Look on the drive for the little jumper plugs. Look on the drive label for the jumper positions. Set the jumpers for "slave"
Your going to click my computer, "E drive" , documents and settings, click the folder with your name (or the name of the computer user(s), click my documents, drag the documents, pictures etc...off the old drive into the new drive, or a thumb drive, or a CD, DVD.

1Andrew1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I believe that the drive is an IDE. I don't see the "drive label" that indicates the "jumper positions" although I'm sure you are right that it is there. I'll keep searching. Is it near the pins?

1Andrew1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I see the little jumper. My drive is called Fujitsu MHT2030AT. I don't see any jumpers on the pins at the moment and the jumper is set off to the side on some "unused" pins. I assume I get some tweezers and remove the jumper and attach it to the main set of pins. But where exactly?

Then. . .after that is solved.

Should I start my new laptop, connect the old hard drive, wait until I see it appear as my E drive and, with luck, I should see all my old documents and music?

Thanks for the help.

1Andrew1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I moved the jumper into the a vertical position after reading the manual for the drive. If I did it right, it should have made the drive a "slave" but instead, when I hooked it up to my new laptop, it showed the drive with a red question mark over it and would not let me access it at all.

Any other solutions?

I pretty sure I did it correctly. There are four pins slightly separated from the rest of the pins. This is where the jumpe is located connecting the bottom two pins. I removed the jumper, turned it to connect the last top pin to the last bottom pin, and it did not work.

Did I do it incorrectly?

Thanks again.