Sign in with
Your question

SATA HDD of a laptop connected to a Desktop PC ?

Last response: in Storage
May 15, 2009 1:06:01 PM

I have a hdd from a laptop, model: WD1600BEVS http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=264 and i want to know if i can connect the hdd to a desktop computer.I'm not sure if the power connection and data connection are compatible with the connection from a desktop pc.
a b G Storage
May 15, 2009 10:02:32 PM

They're fully compatible. Just plug them in and it'll work fine :) 
a b D Laptop
a c 92 G Storage
May 16, 2009 7:17:17 AM

Yes. All SATA drives are interchangeable.

The older 2.5" PATA/IDE laptop drives were not although you could buy a 2.5"->3.5" adapter.

You may need a mount though which they sell for 3.5" and 5.25" bays most likely. I have a 2.5" in my case and just used some blue packing foam to wedge mine in and it works fine.
Related resources
May 16, 2009 8:07:13 AM

cjl said:
They're fully compatible. Just plug them in and it'll work fine :) 

That's not always true. Some OEM's use a proprietary interface (Dell and Sony mostly, but I've seen them on HP and Lenovo as well). It should be immediately obvious, though, usually before unplugging the drive from from the laptop. Sometimes one gets fooled by a combined all-in-one connector, that upon disconnecting shows just a standard set of drive connectors.

If they are incompatabile, sometimes one can replace the circuit board, but finding out what model to get the CB from proves very difficult. (sigh)
May 17, 2009 11:31:39 AM

Tanks, i resolve the problem .My big problem was if the power connection its the same.The HDD from the laptop dos not need the +12V connection,it only needs +5V for operation and i was afraid to pug it into the desktop pc.I resolve that by cuuting the +12V cable from the power cable to be sure that i will not destroy the HDD.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 5, 2009 6:35:14 AM

its working in that way dude,,,jst cut the +12V cable n plug i n play ur laptop sata HDD in ur desktop...
thanx,,,
!