Hard drive hard drive repair software

I bought a 160GB new Samsung Model HM160HC (160GB/5400RPM/8m/PATA) 2.5 inch hard drive for laptop I was repairing about a 2 years ago. I ended never using it because the computer had other bigger problems so I put the box away in a cool dry closet. about a week ago (i was needing a portable Hard drive) I decided to put it in a USB enclosure and hook it up. When I did Windows Vista recognized 9GB. I tried reformatting with the same results. How do I recover the remainder of the drive. Ive tried all the windows tool ( error checking defrag) included in Vista with no results. What can do? IS there something I missing or software that will help? or is ithe drive just trash?
Robert Richard Frio411@att.net
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive hard drive repair software
  1. pugutopia said:
    I bought a 160GB new Samsung Model HM160HC (160GB/5400RPM/8m/PATA) 2.5 inch hard drive for laptop I was repairing about a 2 years ago. I ended never using it because the computer had other bigger problems so I put the box away in a cool dry closet. about a week ago (i was needing a portable Hard drive) I decided to put it in a USB enclosure and hook it up. When I did Windows Vista recognized 9GB. I tried reformatting with the same results. How do I recover the remainder of the drive. Ive tried all the windows tool ( error checking defrag) included in Vista with no results. What can do? IS there something I missing or software that will help? or is ithe drive just trash?
    Robert Richard Frio411@att.net


    What shows in disk management for the drive ? File system, status etc
    Have another computer to hook it up to ? - same results ?
  2. Well it was showing 9GB. I took it to another PC and tried it and nothing appeared. Device manger shows it with an explanation sign next to it. but "my computer" does not show it any more on either PC. Light shows up but drive not even showing up anymore. Sounds like its not spinning anymore either. IDK?
  3. pugutopia said:
    Well it was showing 9GB. I took it to another PC and tried it and nothing appeared. Device manger shows it with an explanation sign next to it. but "my computer" does not show it any more on either PC. Light shows up but drive not even showing up anymore. Sounds like its not spinning anymore either. IDK?

    Again I ask, does anything show in disk management, NOT, "My computer" ?
  4. Im sorry, My computer skills are not the best. How do I get to "Disk Managment" in windows vista? Thank you so much by the way.
  5. pugutopia said:
    Im sorry, My computer skills are not the best. How do I get to "Disk Managment" in windows vista? Thank you so much by the way.

    To open Disk Management, follow these steps

    Choose Start–>Control Panel to open Control Panel.

    Click the System Maintenance link, and then click Administrative Tools to open the Administrative ools folder.

    Click Computer Management to open the Computer Management window.

    In the Computer Management pane, expand Storage, and then click Disk Management.
  6. I did as you said and apears it's showing up as 512mb. I took some screen shots and need to find a pic hosting site so you can lok at them and let me know what I should try next or I can send you the screen shots? Thanks again.
  7. Try this site pugutopia.

    It is very popular between users here and its free. U can upload in 1 minute.

    Use this to embed the pic here.

    http://imageshack.us/
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Hard Drives Portable Hard Drive