Need a case recommendation

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm looking for a new case, as I'm kinda "outgrowing" my older Antec Super Lanboy. The neon blue "bling" lights and side panel just really aren't needed anymore. I did recently get an Antec Sonata 3, and the looks of it are about perfect, but the cooling is a bit lacking, and it has no cable management, so it ended up being used for a build for my mother.

I'm looking for a mid-tower with good/great air cooling. Roominess is a plus, and I need at least 3 external 5.25" bays, and the ability for another 3.5", and minimum of 2-4 hard drive bays. I'd like to not have to worry in the future about adding a bigger (longer) GFX card. Also nothing that looks like an "alien".

Now for the nit-pickey stuff. Bottom mounted PSU would be a big plus so that top fans can be mounted. Cable management would be a big help. Also, and this is what kills a lot of them for me, any power/reset buttons or usb/e-sata/audio ports should be on the front and close to the top, as my desk would have the tower at almost ground level, and only the front panel accessible.

The closest thing I can find to what I'm looking for is the cooler master 590. Should I be looking at anything else?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
ok, i dont really recommend a bottom mount psu as almost all psu have fans which end up at the top.

the cases im going to recommend are one that i have come in contact wih,

firstly the 831 stacker, this is the ultimate case, if you out grow this you have issues.
9 fans
a million drive bays
support top and bottom mounted psu (i think)
atx, e-atx (extended)
btx - so its future proof.

then next one is the CM cosmos.
this is a slick case well built.

another CM cas which i own is the wavemaster which is all alu but proberly lacks fan, althouh because its a large simple design a monkey with a hole-saw could add fans to it.
Chook just reviewed a case in this forum, the lian-li PC-a70
this also look suitible for your needs

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
The Stacker gets my vote. If your budget is tighter you could also check out the CM 690 (great reviews).

The Lian-Li A16 also has a similar design to the CM 590 with the superior Lian-Li build quality and aluminium construction.
I'm thinking of picking up a CM 590 to upgrade my old Centurion 5 which is a bit small for my needs.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe I didn't explain myself...when I said "outgrow" I didn't mean that I needed a bigger case. The Antec Super LanBoy is plenty big, it just looks like a 15 year's old's computer case. The blue-LED and clear side panel just don't do it for my anymore.

That being said, the stacker is WAY TOO BIG!!! It's also way too alien looking for me.

As for the CM 690, the ports and such are on the top, meaning they would be inaccessible when the case is in my desk, but the looks and size of it are just what I'm looking for.

The cosmos is again way too big, and the front door would be on the wrong side of the case for my desk.

As for the Lian Li, I've seen that most of their cases have the usb ports and such on the bottom (I'd prefer middle to top), and they can be overpriced for what you get.

Thanks for the input, though.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
sounds like you are looking for maybe an Antec900 or AntecP180 both suit you although the 900 might be a little too much bling for you.

Lian-Li A-17 and A10 might be worth a look also (if you dont mind paying a bit more for quality)

Silverstone's TJxx series might be worth a look also.

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
The Antec P182 is a top case. Bottom mount PSU, great cooling (I have 4 120mm fans), 2 fan speed controls on rear, and great wire management system. I Googled the case for wiring ideas, and there are some beautiful wiring jobs out there. Mine is not quite as good, but doesn't interfere with airflow. It has 4 external 5.25" bays and 1 3.5" on the front Interior has room for 6 HD's in 2 separate, removeable cages. 2 front USB, and my Gigabyte DS3P has 8 more on the rear, plus 2 e-sata out ports. I think it's a stunning, artfully designed case, very well built and holds all I need (ATI 8570) is tight, but fits fine after adjusting wiring. There is no case speaker, but I got one from my trusty local PC shop for free.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I think there's a version with front mounted USB ports (on CoolerMasters web page, japanese market or something ...).

The 590 uses the same side panels as the 690. So for size they are about the same.

FusoyaX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Go with the Antec P182. Sleek, adult looking, organized interior, no flashy LED fans, good build... it seems to be everything you're looking for. A lot of people are very happy with their Antec P182's. The 900 is also good (and cheaper) but involves swapping out the front LEd fans (like fatcat said).