Sign in with
Your question

22" monitor poll

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Which one of these monitors would be best bang for the buck?

Total: 33 votes (8 blank votes)

• ASUS VK222U
  • 8 %
  • HP w2207
  • 20 %
  • LG L227WTG-PF
  • 24 %
  • I know a better one than any of these that I'll post here
  • 48 %
April 5, 2008 5:47:12 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739118&p...

These are my current three top choices. The LG at Best Buy was on sale for $50 off when I was considering it, so keep in mind that I would be buying it for ~$290+S/H (if I could get it for that much).

I'm curious to see what you guys have to say......... :bounce:  [:wr2]

More about : monitor poll

April 5, 2008 6:13:53 PM

Westinghouse l2210nw $250 bestbuy 2ms g2g and 3000:1 contrast
April 5, 2008 6:45:22 PM

the Dell SP2208WFP is a pretty good 22" monitor. CNET recently gave it an editor's choice award. The picture quality is great and the response is 2ms. It also has a webcam/microphone built in if that's any use to you. It's on sale fora $299 on dell.com
Related resources
April 5, 2008 6:49:24 PM

Before going to buy anything, make sure it has a DVI port, and you'll want to browse a few places like best buy, circuit city, walmart, wherever just to SEE some monitors. Next to each other you will see a difference and you can decide what route you want to go. Quality monitor is all about eyeballing.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2008 7:00:04 PM

I have an HP w2207h. But I am in Saudi Arabia where I have VERY limited choices.
April 5, 2008 10:23:56 PM

I have always gone with viewsonic. You should look into them.
April 5, 2008 10:52:49 PM

I just picked up the Samsung 2253bw at Newegg 289.99 with $20 mail in rebate. I absolutely love it.

The only complaint I had was that UPS appears to have dropped the first one and broke it; my replacement works great!
April 5, 2008 11:52:52 PM

OK thanks for all the replies guys. Now a quick question: is the panel or the contrast ratio more important? Like with the HP and the Asus listed above: the HP has 1000:1 CR and a brightview panel, while the Asus has 5000:1 with a normal panel. Now, I also noticed that the 5000:1 on the Asus is called "ASCR"(ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio). Does that mean that it's the static ratio or the dynamic ratio with a fancy name?

Also I should mention that I plan to use this monitor for a few years, and one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Asus was because of the three year warranty. That was one of the things I disliked about the HP; it only comes with a one year warranty. Keep that in mind with your choices.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2008 12:43:05 AM

Since we are talking about monitors and the 226BW was mentioned... I just wanted to point out that I am selling my Samsung 226BW. If you are interested PM me, also, the thread is in the 'Deals' section of the Forum. - Annisman
April 6, 2008 3:26:29 PM

I, too, will put in a good word for the Samsung 226BW. I've been nothing but pleased with mine.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2008 3:47:19 PM

The only reason I'm selling mine is because I desire a 24" with 1900x1200 Res.
April 7, 2008 2:04:47 AM

Thanks for the offer annisman, but one problem is that I don't actually have the money right now, and I see you've already got an offer for it, so I think I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

April 7, 2008 2:06:09 AM

Avenger_K said:
OK thanks for all the replies guys. Now a quick question: is the panel or the contrast ratio more important? Like with the HP and the Asus listed above: the HP has 1000:1 CR and a brightview panel, while the Asus has 5000:1 with a normal panel. Now, I also noticed that the 5000:1 on the Asus is called "ASCR"(ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio). Does that mean that it's the static ratio or the dynamic ratio with a fancy name?

Also I should mention that I plan to use this monitor for a few years, and one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Asus was because of the three year warranty. That was one of the things I disliked about the HP; it only comes with a one year warranty. Keep that in mind with your choices.

Anyone?
April 7, 2008 2:51:56 AM

I believe that the contrast ratio (and somebody correct me if I am wrong here) is really going to effect how deep the blacks are. Too be honest, I've seen that the price for a higher contrast ratio brings with it a much higher price tag, but the actual result is only noticeable when you have the monitors side by side. I agree with most everyone else and say go with the Samsung, but if you are choosing between the HP and ASUS, the HP is pretty badass. In fact, my Dad has that one and it's incredible.

When I was looking at 22" recently, I was checking out that ASUS monitor as well. Looks pretty slick, but I'm opting for the Samsung. Samsung has a great reputation and I've never had a problem with any of my Samsung monitors. Top notch quality!
April 7, 2008 3:44:26 AM

oh and as far as this 5000:1-3000:1 contrast goes, it's simulated, built in programming to improve contrast. the native contrast of these monitors is something like 700:1. same with how you only see 5ms gtg [grey to grey] rather than 10ms btb [black to black] ratings these day's. if you want killer contrast get one of samsungs led backlit lcd's. but you will PAY for it. those have a native contrast in the 1000's:1. because instead of flourescent backlighting the whole screen, individual led's light up the part of the screen that actually needs the light.

edited for more info.
April 7, 2008 4:15:56 AM

If you don't have a glare issue, the "brightview" HP w2207 looks fantastic. The glossy screen (thats the brightview part) makes the colors really pop, and with pics or games that have shiny stuff or lots of reflective surfaces, it really adds to the realism. Just make sure you don't have any room lighting behind you. Samsung and LG also make glossy screen monitors, and the specs on the new LG are pretty good.
Enjoy!
April 7, 2008 5:09:01 AM

i have this acer:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

i love it. no dead pixels, came with a dvi and vga cable, no dead pixels, 5ms response time...and i got it for 200 bucks when it was on sale at T.D. like a week ago. great upgrade from the samsung monitor i had. long story short, the acer gets my vote.
April 15, 2008 11:31:57 PM

Just a quick update; first of all, thanks for all your help guys. I'm beginning to lean towards the LG. Tonight I'm going to Best Buy with my dad to check out a few of their monitors first hand. I'm hoping they'll have the LG, but even if they don't I'll still be able to learn a few things (like whether I prefer size over IQ, etc.).

Oh, and the LG has that $50 off sale, so that's helping to lean me towards it a bit. However, if any of you know a place where I could get it for cheaper (excluding eBay/Craigslist), please let me know. Thanks again!
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2008 11:47:32 PM

I have an LG 19 inch monitor. It is nice and I would recommend it.

Something to warn you about though; most of the contrast ratios above 1000:1 are "simulated". When the image gets dark enough the monitor dims the backlight. This is awesome in come cases and extremely annoying in others. My LG has this, and if I had to do it all over again I would probably get one w/o "dynamic" contrast (or whatever the manufacturer calls it). One deal I'd like to point out is this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

I'm thinking about buying it if I can gather the funds.

I second you plan to go on a best buy trip. There is no substitute for seeing the monitor in person.

Good luck!
!