ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
hi i am planing to buy a new motherb . how do i know the size? and which chip set is right for me ? and do i have to reinstall windows to work?
cant i just buy a motherb that supports core 2 duo and fsb 1033mhz? and does it have to match my northbridge,and south?
please explain step by step
This is my pc specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c0087242&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=2093&product=3377251&lang=en
this is my motherb http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910113&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#

1st, what processor are you upgrading to?

2nd, are you buying a new video card? Going SLI or Crossfire or just a single video card?

3rd, you need a micro atx motherboard. This will eliminate or severly reduce your chance of going SLI or Crossfire due to them not being available or hard to find.

4th, you may have to upgrade your power supply.

5th, once you install a new motherboard, your recovery disk will not likely work. Prebuilt systems create recovery disks that are intended to work only with the original hardware so in your case, if you change the motherboard you will likely need to buy a copy of XP or Vista to be able to reinstall your OS.

If theres a motherboard replacement for a model very similar to yours that supports the cpu and video card you want then it may be possible to use your original recovery disk, maybe. But its still risky and you may have to buy a new OS if it doesnt work.

This is the main reason I dont buy prebuilt systems because of the "lock down" they put on the interchangablity of thier hardware and software.

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
1) i have an e4600
2) im not going sli i got 8600gt soon 8800gts 640 ssc
3)my motherboard is micro atx
4)i got 500watt psu
5)idk what u mean i might need a copy of vista?

and can u explain north and south bridge does it have to match?i know what it means and my chip set is -> i945G/GZ
south is ->ICH7/R
EDIT-i bought my pc and i upgrade it and i don't wanna spend $100 for vista ._.

It doesnt have to match your old chipset. Your 500 watt should be ok, is it a 24 pin psu? If its a 20 pin I would replace it, they make a 20 to 24 pin adapter but unless your psu has enough amps its dangerous to use this as it could cause overheating and cause the cable to catch on fire, ruin your system and possibly catch your house on fire. Not good. You would actually need to read the motherboard manual and see what it says about using an adapter. It should tell you what amps on your psu to look for. Then check your psus amps to see if it meets minimum requirements then its ok to do it, if not then dont.

You may need Vista or XP, your choice. Most likely your recovery cd will not work with changing to a new motherboard. You can try it but be prepared for it to not work and have to go buy copy of windows, either Vista or XP.

Chipsets that a motherboard has defines what features a motherboard has. So the new motherboard having a new chipset will most likely be in your favor adding newer and improved features so dont worry about your old chipset in your old motherboard. Thats history.

Did you buy the E4600 already? I suppose you bought this 1st and it didnt work in your old motherboard so this is why you are upgrading?

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
i got 20+4 pin and i saw my motherboard specs and it says supports core2duo e4*00.... i install it says error"cpu not supported" OMG the FREAKEN PG SAYS IT SUPPORTS E4*00 piss me off... but im planing to but this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128076
can you give me suggestion? if this like work for my pc btw im buying a vantec tornado ;D blast all hot air out but noisy so im install fan control
and yes i want to upgrade

You may want to see if theres a BIOS update for your motherboard. You need to read carefully on how to flash your BIOS. More than likely, if there is one you will need a floppy drive and a floppy disk to create the BIOS update floppy.

You CANT power off the pc when it is being flashed. It will render the motherboard useless if you do.

Heres a thread of someone else having the same issue as you. They are buying another motherboard so it appears.

http://hothardware.com/cs2007/forums/t/38234.aspx

As I said before, if you change the factory motherboard to an aftermarket version it is most likely not going to work with your recovery disk.

If someone else has had luck using a recovery disk to reinstall your OS after replacing with an aftermarket mobo, please post.

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
englandr753, will my pc dont need a floppy to update it a file ;D so im lucky, im planning to update my MB ,but i need to backup my hard drive and buy a copy of an OS!!!-_- IT LIKE $100