Need advice for possible upgrade

quantifix

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
AMD Athlon X2 4600+
Socket 939 A8N SLI Deluxe mobo
Geforce 8800GTS
2 GB DDR Ram

The above is what I currently have. For some reason my PC isn't performing at peak efficiency. I've done all the usual stuff (disc cleanup, defrag, update bios, yada yada yada) and nothing helps. I ran 3d mark 6 and only scored 8156, which is terrible. My PC staggered so badly on the cpu tests that I didn't even get one fps. I also recently found out that my 4600 is most likely bottlenecking my 8800GTS. I thought it'd be able to handle the 8800 with no sweat, but guess not. With all of that and the fact that my mobo only supports ddr ram, I've been conptemplating simply ditching the mobo and processor and going for new ones, especially since Intel's seem to be much better than AMD's these days. I'm wondering if this would really be feasible, and if so, worthwhile? I don't have the cash to build or buy a whole new PC. I was originally going to have a local comp shop look into and repair whatever is going on with my PC, but upgrading seems like it might be a better option, though I'm no techie. Or, would repairing my PC and then overclocking it (my original idea) be a better way to go?

Much appreciated.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
dont go to your PC shop as they will take you for a ride.

however, you would go far wrong with a, p35 Motherboard and a e8200. get 2Gb of DDR2 while your there as it cheap as.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
How old is your Windows install? You would be amazed what a fresh install will do for your speed. Just OC your proc, and youll be fine for a while. I would hold off on a new platform untill late 08-early 09. Pick from all the newest goodies that way. (Nehlam and 45mn Phenoms)

Atlantian

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I agree with waiting for the next generation Intels coming out late 2008/early 2009. Even if you cannot afford them when they come out the other processors will be cheaper.

Also doing a fresh install of your operating system will make a huge improvement. I think this more than anything will improve your performance and solve most of your problems. If nothing else it forces you to install the latest drivers for everything and you get a clean OS to play with. In my case I normally reinstall the OS after a year, sometimes less depending on what junk I install.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Ok it depends on where you have an allegance to AMD or Intel.

I would get a Intel e8300 or a e8400 with a gigabyte board... Youll need different Ram too.

Try Ebay for a FX60 might be worth a try !!!!

A new 750 gb hard disk with 32mb cache would do you a favour too. Theyre pretty cheap considering and youll be able to use in in your new machine too

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
As others have said do a clean windows install. If you still want some more speed overclock the cpu.

Another thing is dont get all upset about some benchmark results. If your machine handles/peforms as it should in the actualy apps/games you use then who cares.

If this still doesnt give you the peformance you need then think about upgrading to the Intel machine and if the price/performace upgrade is worth it for you. For myself I would probally say no. Another good thing about your current machine is that there are lots of folks that would love to get there hands on a 939 x2 4600. Selling that off will be a piece of cake

quantifix

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Ok, thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try a fresh install of Windows and see if that helps at all. I also need to up my RAM, so maybe doing that will help a bit as well. Thanks again.

quantifix

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Also, would overclocking my cpu make much of a difference? I know there's a website (forget the name, I'll have to find it again) that overclocked a 4200 X2 from its stock speed of 2.2 ghz all the way up to 3. They didn't have a problem doing it either. Anyhow, if I were able to get my 4600 X2 to 3ghz or so, would that help much with performance? I've never oced cpus before, only graphic cards, so I'm not real sure just what it could do for me. Would it help with the supposed bottlenecking of my 8800 GTS?