Please critique this build

Jaevric

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Please critique this build! This will be my 2nd computer I've built myself, but I'm nowhere close to an expert. I've been trying to read the existing threads and figure this stuff out on my own, but I'd rather get confirmation of what I'm looking at so far. I am not interested in overclocking currently, I just want a fairly future-proof system.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model EU80569PJ067N
- Assuming these ever actually come out on the market. I'm tempted to go with the Q6600 just to get it *right now* but I don't want to regret my decision 3 months down the road.

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

2x EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
- Matched the video card with the mobo manufacturer on purpose; as has been stated on other threads, this way if there's a problem I don't have to argue with two different companies. Hopefully.

2x Crucial Ballistix 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA804

I am not certain I want to go with an SLI build; there seems to be a lot of disagreement as to whether or not it is worthwhile. I have a 22" Samsung Syncmaster 226BW monitor.

Thanks!

*EDIT*

Since I've been asked for clarification on a few issues:

I'm trying to keep the budget under $2000.00. The system is primarily a gaming platform, though I use it for home office stuff as well. I don't do any video editing so that is a non-issue. I already have a hard drive, a CD driver/burner, and a DVD drive, but they're fairly old and unspectacular. They're also reasonably cheap to replace and a non-issue for the build purposes -- I'm more concerned with the mobo, processor, video card, memory, PSU and cooling.

I have no experience whatsoever with a water-cooled system, so I am leaning towards a standard fan-cooled; I don't even know how hard it is to set up a system for water cooling.

akhilles

Splendid
The Yorkies have been trickling in the market, but they're sold out as soon as they arrive. It'll be a while before they become more available. If Wolfdales are any indication, the wait for Yorkies may be as long as 1 month or longer.

The advantage of 780i is that it can do 1 gpu, 2 gpus or 3 gpus. If you count the 9800GX2 as 2 gpus, 780i can do up to 6 gpus. I've seen the benchmarks of the new SLI and the sweet spot seems to be 2 cards in SLI as the performance boost is nearly 100% in some games. Especially if you plan to max out Crysis and the like, SLI is the way to go.

For PSUs:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

A pre-built cpu watercooling kit is as hard to install as a high-end air cooler. Both installs require the removal of the motherboad. Since you're not overclocking, I suggest you use the stock cooler. If you want quietness, go for Freezer 7 Pro.