Overclocked computer freezes ( not unstable )

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello,

I'm running folowing configuration computer for atleast last 6 months without any issues with stability, crashing, any thing at all, I plaid crysis and all those best games without any crash or somthing as that.
But now when its december and out side is a bit colder, when i open up my window pc crashes after 5 minutes.

Here is my configuration:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.1ghz ( 3.2ghz OC ) - Normal temps: Iddle 40°C / Fully loaded 72°C
MOBO: Gigabyte EP35-DS4 ( 400mhz FSB ) - Normal temps: iddle 45°C / Fully loaded 56°C
Graphic: Asus EN8800GT (not oced, some times my driver crashes in windows without reason,any ideas ? :D) - Normal temps: iddle 48°C / fully loaded 65°C

Hdd1: Maxtor 320gb SATA II - Normal temps: Iddle 42°C
Hdd2: Seagate 120gb IDE - Normal temps: Iddle 37°C

PowerSupply i have some LG 550W

also here is screen shot made by phone after my pc freezed ( readins of temps ) : www.n1servers.com/freezetemps.jpg

becouse of my job, i'm thinking to upgrade my cpu on Q6600 also with Zalman CNPS9700 Cooler. Do you think i could get this config on 3.6ghz with stable and nice temps ? so cpu would last atleast for 1 more year lol.

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Jacky

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i would say get driversweeper, uninstall the drivers and get the new 180x48 ones :D you would be surprised at how effective some of hte standard fixes are...

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Actualy i do have totaly newest drivers, had even latest beta ones. Got same issues tbh :/.

I still dont know why my pc freezes at cold air :(
Also if you checked the picture of my temps when it crashes those arevery low, meybe unstable fsb ? becouse if i dont have oced pc it runs normal at even lower temps.

Weird huh,

G

Do you run vista? How much ram do you have? What kind of ram? What are our settings for ram?

I suspect you don't have your ram on a 1:1 ratio and your overclocking the ram, and the more you overclock the ram the more unstable it becomes. The processor itself may be stable at that 400 fsb, but you might have slower ram such as 667 ram overclocked to 800 which wouldn't work as the ram might not be stable at that speed

There are a lot of unknown variables... I for one immediately thought hard drive... but then again... I always do now whenever I see system freezes... My stupid ssd drive sucks :(

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello,

I have stock rams at 800mhz, i'm using 1:2 synic.
I have 2x 2gb Mushkin Performance 800mhz rams.
Im also running latest Vista Ultimate 32 bit. It detects 4gb of ram and uses 3.5gb.

Also ram are totaly stock. Also my pc doesnt freeze untill i dont open my window in room. I guess its somthing with temps, also possible rams go very low temp and crash. I have a fan on chasis witch is making "wind" to rams directly, i had in mind to oc the rams also before but then crysis and some games crashed so had no other chooice. But i havent removed the fan.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I'm not sure of anything. I just know for sure that it has some thing to do with cold. Becouse my pc is working totaly fine when i got closed window.
PC is like 5m away from the window. But my entire room goes under 15°C when i open window.

THat explains temp on the screen shot i've wrote on bottom of my first post.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
hehe, i didnt, I use Everest stabilty test for stability tests. but as i wrote in first post also i use this config for 6 months and i had no stabilty problems so far, also plaid most demanding games like "Race driver Grid", "Crysis warhead / Wars", "Call of duty 4", "Need for Speed Undercover" and so on, also i was converting a lots of movies.

And untill i dont open window every thing is totaly stable. But some few weeks ago my Graphic driver started crashing without reason, later i upgraded it and still having same problems after 5 removals and reinstalls. Also reinstalled my pc becouse of that.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Theres no delicate way to say this so im just going to come out with it. There is no way that opening your window is causing your PC to crash.

If that is the cause, there is a very simple fix. Stop opening your window...

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
hehe its not actualy crashing it freezes.
It doesnt automaticly restart. Also hdd led freezes.
Every thing freezes. even numpad if i press it doesnt stop working, also bluetooth adapter i have doesnt light up when i move mouse.
nothing responses.

and its happening only when i open window.
Very weird problem tbh :p

Anyway what about Q6600 Upgrade and the cooler, do you think i can hit 3.6ghz with decident temps ?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
even if it has been stable in the past parts start to get old and die. Download and run prime95 and memtest86+, even though it was stable in the past. I would venture to guess that one of those programs will give you an error with your current set up.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
no viruses for sure lol, totaly clean newly installed pc few days ago also tried before installing newer beta drivers older one, when i cleanly installed.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
You know, I had the same problem.

Turned out to be ghosts of deceased Mac fanboys hanging out outside my room. When I opened my windows they'd come inside my pc to muck things up for the lulz... "Mac for life... and after" they muttered.

That's loyalty for ya.
o_O

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

Hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
In all seriousness, DO check the ram with Memtest. In fact faulty semiconductors can act up with a change in temperature EITHER to being warmer or cooler.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Hello,

Now i'm not sure what coused my pc restart overnight, but while i was up and doing benchs my cpu got on 72°C and then i opened window ( no changes on computer, still running test) temperature felt down to 55°C lol.

also it was fully stable. But some prog or update restarted it overnight.
Anyway i streesed rams, cpu, fsb.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
how long did you stress it for? Did it restart overnight while it was being stressed?

@venom: He did a fresh install of windows already so no other drivers to remove

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
yes it restarted while it was streesing but when i woke up it was message of windows was successfuly updated. Means computer restarted about 4am and i put it on streesing at 11pm.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Im sorry to say it but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily stable. There could have still been an error in that time, causing one of the workers to fail or causing the system to restart before the windows automatic update restart occurred. It might be stable but it might not. I would run prime95 again.

Jacky444

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
:O it crashed. Do you might know how is this possible after 6 months of 100% stability ( my pc never crashed or anything like that ) now my pc started beeing unstable.
i'm sure it was stable becouse 1 month ago i've done 48 hours CPU and RAM strees. and it wasnt crashing just high temps (72-74°C max )

Very weird :O