Computer crashes when setting up a Static IP Address.

Nyankeefan

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Hey, so im trying to set up a Static IP Address following the instructions from www.PortForward.com.

My router is a D-Link WBR-1310 and im using Vista. (http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm)

Im running into a problem where my computer gets the blue screen and crashes when I get past these steps of what I have to do -

(Copied from Portforward.com) Step 9:

You may have several network connections in this window. I want you to right click on the one you use to connect to the internet. Then click properties.

You should now have the above window on your screen. Click the properties button to open up the properties window of this internet connection.

Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and then the Properties button. You will now see the following screen

You should see a dot in the Obtain an IP address automatically box. If you do not, your connection is already setup for a static ip. Just close all these windows and you are done.

Pick an ip address and enter it into the IP Address box. The ip address you choose should be very similar to the router's ip addres. Only the last number of the ip address should be different. If the router's ip address is 192.168.1.1, I might choose 192.168.1.10. The ip address you choose should end with a number between 1 and 254, and should not be the same as the router's ip address. Every device that connects to your network needs to have it's own ip address.

So after I finish all of that I press accept out of the menu and my computer gets the blue screen that says beginning dump of physical memory and crashes. I thought all I was changing was my wireless connection and it doesnt make sense to me why my computer would crash ><

Heres a report of what the crash contains:
[cpp]
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 19
BCP1: 0000000000000020
BCP2: FFFFFA8003FDAD20
BCP3: FFFFFA8003FDB7A0
BCP4: 0000000004A8F201
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini051809-02.dmp
C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34928-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD7D7.tmp.version.txt
[/cpp]

Ive tried several times to do this and every time my computer crashes. Ive tried turning off my internet, firewall before I change it and the same thing happens.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? Im trying to set up a static IP so I can host games on Warcraft 3.

Thanks for the help.

waddman

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

i have same problem, i've got windows 7 and it does the same thing; however after blue screen flashes and my computer restarts everything is fine. sorry i couldnt be of help, but at least you are not alone