How much hotter would a 1TB HD run...

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
not by much, look at the Operating Temperature on the manufacturers website or specification list, as well as do a google search of hd temps, i found a lot of real world temps, you will too, for instance a general running temp for a raptor, or even 2 in raid behind a 120mm fan, between 30-40 degrees celcius

Stealth808

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I've been having a hard time finding real world temps for the WD Caviar Blacks. So far I found one guy that had a 1TB that supposedly got up to 45c and another guy with a 500GB at 30c. So would it be fair to assume that a 750GB would be about 37c (halfway in between 1TB and 500GB)?

sub mesa

Distinguished
All 7200rpm disks will run at 6 to 9 watts, usually 7.5W when idling. Capacity changes little to this, although single platter disks can go down to 5.0W sometimes. Its the WD Green series that use only half of a normal drive: 3.5-4W. This also means you won't have to actively cool your disks anymore. But if you're looking for a system disk the black is probably a better choice. The only mechanical (desktop-class) disk that would be faster and consume less would be the Velociraptor.

HDD temps depend a lot on the mounting configuration too. My Caviar Black 1TB runs around 30C, but it has a fan right next to it. I wouldn't say you could accurately predict how hot they run unless someone has an identical setup to yours. Also, as said above, the power consumption doesn't change very much between the capacities.

sub mesa

Distinguished
That's why people shouldn't look at temperatures, but rather at power consumption, since power consumption equals generated heat. Although you can't predict the temperature it will run at easily, it would allow a fair comparison of which drives would be hotter or cooler than the others.

leon2006

Distinguished
Just get the 1TRB drive.

If the 2 drives are of the same family or generation the power consumption may be very close if not the same. It may potentially have the same number of platters inside. Below is the data for WD black-edition drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=487

If you browse through the data the power consumption between 1TB and 750GB is the same. The same family drive most likely the same HW inside (same amount of platters). The power dissipation is the same so the heat dissipaton is the same.

Read the datasheet the facts will help you make the decision.

Just to make the point....the 500GB of black edition consumes a little bit less not siginificant that you can feel or sense the difference in your setup. READ THE DATASHEET.

The new generation GREEN drives are slower but consumes less power(generates less heat).

sub mesa

Distinguished
They aren't really slower for sequential transfers since 100MB/s is possible also with the 5400rpm WD Green drives. They make less ideal system drives due to latency, but its an ideal download drive to storage large amounts of data on, at very low power consumption.