daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
It is pretty much impossible to burn your cpu these days. If it overheats, it shuts down.

Do the overclock, run prime95 and get some app to check your temp.

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
i oc'ed to 3.16ghz

idle temps are:

cpu - around 30-31
cores - between 31-34

i did a small quick test on prime95 for 4 mins and the temps went up to around 63 celcius

the idle temps seem fine and indicate i could OC more, however those Prime95 i got worry me and make me think i shouldn't go further

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
im not sure which to trust

asus probe and everest say 30º at idle

realtemp says 25º

there's always a 5º difference between them

randomizer

Champion

The temperature is calculated using a basic formula:

Core temp = Throttle temperature - sensor output

You sensors don't actually output an absolute temperature, but a temp relative to the throttle temp. You will often hear the term "Tj Max" or "Tjunction Max" which refers to this throttle temperature. The problem is nobody can be absolutely certain what the throttle temperature is, so different programs use their own values based on "estimates" in documentation or testing (most the former, Real Temp usually the latter when possible). If that throttle temp is assumed 5C different from one program to another, the temperature will always be reported as 5C different. What never changes between programs is the distance to Tj Max being outputted by the sensors, and keeping this above 30C will ensure stability in all but the highest overclocks.

Deadstar

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
thanks for the explanation, i didnt know that cheers!

i'll be monitoring the situation, though for now i might leave it at 3.16ghz cause its not like im needing an increase in performance.

one question, out of curiosity:

is a E8400 OC'ed at 3.16ghz equal performance-wise to a E8500? and oc'ed at 3.33ghz equal to a E8600?