8800GT World in Conflict

stevegircys

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
I was wondering if you guys could give me some help. Ive got a Quad-Core, Phenom 9600, with 4 gb of ram, 500 GB hard drive, and windows XP. I just got my new video card, an EVGA 8800GT (512mb ddr3). It will run Crysis on high settings at 1680x1050 at around 40 fps, so i know it works well. But the only problem is, when i run World in Conflict, on medium-high settings, at 1280x1024, i get around 20 frames per second. I'm dumbfounded. I've checked all the benchmarks for the card, with similar test rigs to mine, and it SHOULD get about 40 fps MAXED out. I have the latest dx9 version, and graphics card drivers. Help anyone?

tolemi

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Its the game itself a problem. Not too much optimized I think. I got the same kind of stuttering with my XFX 8800GTS 512MB xxx edtition. Its lagging huge at first.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
The benchmark in that game is biased towards cpu use (physics calculation), especially in the bombdrop scenes. And since it's not optimized for quad cores, your cpu is probably the bottleneck if you notice severe drops in that sequence.

randomizer

Champion
You will get better framerates in general than the benchmark is telling you. Remember that it flies the camera right through explosions etc and you won't be doing that online. However, your CPU is bottlenecking you in this game (as dagger mentioned). Have a look at what scores Xbitlabs got:

wic.png

Granted this is at low res and medium settings, so you should notice less of a difference between a 9600 and a Q6600 at your settings, but your CPU will still lower your framerates. Finally, have you applied the TLB patch? That (as you can see above) will SEVERELY impact performance in this game. You motherboard BIOS may incorporate the patch if it is recent.

Kwyx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I'm running WiC with that same video card (PNY version). I always get between 21 and 24 average fps in the benchmark with "Very High" settings and 1680x1050 resolution. I used to run it in 32bit windows xp, but currently I'm using 64bit vista home premium, both with nearly identical results in the benchmark. Nothing overclocked in anyway.

Here are the rest of my specs.
CPU: E6760
Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Mem: 4x1GB DDR2 800
HD: Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA 3.0 Gb/s
PSU: Xclio Greatpower 550W

Edit: Ok, I just ran the benchmark a couple times using 1280x1024 and medium settings. I got 64, and 65 as the average fps. Also note that I'm only running at 2GB ram at the moment as I had to RMA a couple of bad sticks. The only difference I see in our specs is the CPU. I know WiC is more processor intensive than most games. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in with how our 2 CPU's compare.

randomizer

Champion
I don't believe WIC is effectively multi-threaded beyond 2 cores, and Intel (as is obvious from the graph above) has the architectural advantage in this game.

Make sure you are comparing DX9 to DX9 and DX10 to DX10 when comparing framerates.

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Maybe in medium setting the game is cpu dependent but I doubt your cpu makes a big difference in video card limited situations like high or very high settings at your desired resolution.

TRENDING THREADS