nailz99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I have a DFI LAN DK Party 790FX-M2RS and just added a new 9850BE CPU and now pc is starting to crash I reinstalled vista 64 and it still crashing especially when I play games. I get BSOD randomly for absolutely no reason. I haven't overclocked the CPU so I'm not sure if its a bios setting that will resolve my issue. I had a 9600be which I never had a problem with so I think its a setting issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs
DFI 790fx
9850be
3780 512mb
4gb ddr2
enermax 600 psu

area61

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
did you find any updates for the bios?were there any?its a bit worrysome as you need a mobo that can support 125W proc!

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Which Bios version are you running?
Did you clear CMOS before installing the new chip?
Is your RAM getting the correct volts?
Is your CPU getting the correct volts?
Are you overclocking your CPU or any other component (ie north bridge, RAM, graphics card etc)?
Have you installed the Vista hotfix to solve the 4GB of RAM issues?

I'm leaning towards it being a Bios issue, mainly due to the fact that for your board, there hasn't been a new Bios since the beginning of March, and in that one the only major change DFI listed is changing some settings with the RAID controller.

Edit: One more thing - have you tried getting the Ultimate boot CD (google that phrase and it will be there) and/or tried running the memory tests?

In my experience, the most common component to fail in all my and my friends' PCs has always come down to some kind of memory problem (either RAM or Graphics RAM).

nailz99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I updated to the latest bios D7LD305 and cleared my cmos.

Which Bios version are you running? D7LD305
Did you clear CMOS before installing the new chip? Yes
Is your RAM getting the correct volts? Not sure I have GeIL Esoteria 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 4-4-4-12 1.9V - 2.5V
Is your CPU getting the correct volts?Not sure. What is the correct voltage?
Are you overclocking your CPU or any other component (ie north bridge, RAM, graphics card etc)? No, no overclocking
Have you installed the Vista hotfix to solve the 4GB of RAM issues? i have vista 64 with SP1 and reads 4gb of ram. I don't know about a hotfix. If you have a link I will try it.

sailer

Splendid
I may be wrong, but this looks like a voltage issue, especially since you say it especially crashes when playing games. This often means that some component is starving for power. Try raising the voltage for the CPU. I think the default setting is 1.2v, though I may be mistaken. If it is 1.2v, first try 1.3v and see if things get better. Then raise in small voltage adjustments, but I wouldn't go higher than 1.4v. You might also try checking the PSU if you can to make sure its putting out enough power.

Last is to check the ram. You wrote that you cleared the CMOS, so at default settings, so the BIOS might not be supplying enough power. That Geil Esoteria needs a lot of power to be stable. Default ram power setting is usually 1.8v, while this ram needs up to 2.5v to run at its highest settings. I would start at 2.1v and go up from there about half a volt at a time. You might also run memtest86 to check for a bad ram stick.

Just a few suggestions.

sailer

Splendid
There should be something that is labeled CPU Voltage, but beyond that, I'm not familiar with the BIOS on that DFI board, so I can't tell you anything further. You just have to look through the manual to figure that out.

sailer

Splendid
He has a 790FX board and was using a 9600 BE previously, so it should take a B3 9850 BE without problem. The only potential problem that sticks out to me is that it now doesn't have enough power someplace. Other problems may be there.

OP: Have you tried calling DFI about this problem?

nailz99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I found and adjusted my cpu to 1.3v and now its a wait and see. So far no crashing so thats good news. I will keep you posted. Thanks everyone for the help!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Your CPU voltage must have been set in bios for the other CPU.
Does that DFI have Memtest on a ROM like the DFI Expert had?

weilin

Distinguished

Hmmm... i don't know how healthy 2.5 volts is for DDR2 memory. I'd dial that back a bit. 2.1 is usually more than enough for ram...

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007

Agree. 2.1v is probably good.

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
so it is still crashing? I have the exact same board. also remember to plug in your two 4pin (floppy power) connectors that located by the PCIE slots. It helps give more juice to your video card especially if your running a something massive.

nailz99

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Yes its still crashing on me. I'm not sure why exactly this is happening. Like I said gaming seems to make it worse. I have my ram now set at 2.1v and my CPU is at 1.3v. Do you think I should return the CPU or wait for a new board to come out?

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
does it crash when you stick in a different cpu? check for bio's updates.
i would also highly recommend running memtest and orthos. just to make sure that the memory is not faulty or set up incorrectly.

my pc that i build all of a sudden kept crashing and rebooting the other day. i ram memtest and orthos and was able to pin point it to bad ram. mind you i have crucial ballistix ddr2 800mhz ram. so i rma'd it.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Thats odd, I didn't have any problem at all with my k9a2 Platinum, and I basically did the same upgrade as you did. Went from 9600BE to 9850BE, all I had to do was take on out, put the other in, reseat and TIM the HSF. Cleared the bios and reset all the settings to what they should be. Booted right into windows XP after that and haven't had an issue.

In fact I even upgrade my ram from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1066 at the same time. If it's doing it under load, such as in a game, it could be an improperly seated HSF or possibly thermal compound that wasn't applied properly. I'm also not too fond of the HSF that comes with the 9850be. Note that the 9850BE does run a fair amount hotter than the 9600be does, due to increased base voltage on the IMC, and cores. Not to mention higher current usage.

Default Voltage on auto detect for the 9850BE is 1.288-1.29v, default for 9600be was 1.24v. Default voltage for the NB/IMC is 1.30v VID, which is exactly the same as the VID for the cores, so 1.288 volts there too.

Easiest way to see if it's running at proper volts is use AMD power monitor and tell us what is says as far as voltages go. Still seems like the issue with Vista is more of a driver issue.

TRENDING THREADS