tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I've been looking for a good case for my new build, and its been a long time since i've actually had to pick out a new case for a PC, so i'm a bit out of "the know"

I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156098

And was wondering if anyone had any major problems, and whether the stock PSU is usable or should be pulled and replaced with something better (and what that something better might be)?

I'm putting together at Core 2 Quad Q9450 system.

2x 500 GB SATA HDs
1x DVD Burner
1x (some other Shiny Round Disk Drive)
4 GB (2x 2GB Crucial Balistix)
Nvidia 8800 GT series Video card (Single card not doing SLI)
Probably shooting for a 450 Mhz FSB OC on the CPU + RAM.

Anyhow just wondering if the 500 W PSU that comes with it should be sufficient or if I should be shopping for something more robust.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I would probably opt for a PSU that comes separate from the Case. I recommend Antec, Coolermaster, Silverstone, lian-li, or even Zantec for the Case... for PSU I tend toward PCPC and Corsair.

Also get the 7200.11 drives from Seagate. I would look at the E8400 to save on dough too. The Q9450 is $$$!

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
get a Cooolermaster Cosmos and a Big brand PSU, ie Enermax, Hiper power, Coolermsater, akasa. not a Xbrand PSU or anything like that, because it'll clunk out eventually. ideally if i were you i would go with at least 600w, its a little over kill, but it give you head room. Oh, and try and get a modular PSU, as they are a dream to work with.

i think the Western digital cavier are the current drive of choice.

the q9450 is a brilliant chip and well worth it but the q9300 and the e8400 are also both very good chips.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's a crap PSU, the +12v rail is too low for a 500W power supply and Raidmax doesn't make good power supplies. If you want a good power supply look at Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, the Antec Earthwatts and NeoHE/NeoPower series, SeaSonic or Enermax(but not the Liberty series, they have a bad failure rate).

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Hrmm, i'm really having a hard time building this system. Everyone disagrees on stuff and their suggestions are too broad, so I keep ending back up at square 1, which is looking at a list of 1000 products (cases) and not being able to choose one over the other. Usually the default answer is get the Antec 900. Not an option, not listed, not even in NewEggs Database, I think its discontinued.

Anyhow "rules of thumb" aren't helping me on case PSU, since there are just too many options. I'm looking for "this specific case" and "this is the reason why" or at the very least a reason why a particular case "fails".

As for the PSU, i sort of suspected the one included wasn't very good, is there anything else wrong with the case that anyone sees? And if I want a "good" 600W PSU, does anyone have links to specific products that would be good? I"m most likely ordering from newegg, I already acquired the processor elsewhere, so I'm pretty much set on that.

Oh and someone suggested different Hard Drives. I was wondering what made the other seagate model, and/or Western Digital ones superior? The ones I chose seemed to have good transfer rates as well as 32 MB of cache instead of 16 MB.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I like cases that are made from high quality aluminum. Like all of silverstone's and lian-li. You can get a thermalrtake but lots of plastic on low quality steal. Cut yourself on edges and have hard time working with it.

PCPC silencer 610 watt at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
Best PSU ever! REad the reviews and maximumpc.com reviews!

Antec 900 can be found other places besides newegg... It's a good air cooling case. Lot's of plastic though. Bought to paint mine... should look cool.

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Looked around at some things for PSUs. I think the one included in the case would "probably" be good enough to run the setup i'm using, but I decided that I had enough money in budget to grab that PCPC Silencer 610 that was recommended. It seems like a very nice PSU, and I can just keep the one that comes with the case as a backup for my 2 other systems (have 400 W in them now and don't even require it) in case I ever need a backup in a pinch.

I think i'm gonna give that first case a try, I kinda like the look of it, and I didn't see any "this will suck" factors from the pictures and reveiws. Of course one never really knows until they start playing with it, but at $95 its not insanely priced either.

Now I think i'll get some extra fans just in case. Hopefully Fans will be easy enough to pick out without agonizing too much :).

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Just my personal opinion. But if you are getting a PSU anyway why get a case that has one. You are PAYING for that PSU and essentially it is lowering the quality of the case build when you do that.
I recommend this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163096 it doesn't come with a PSU do you know that it's price is due to the quality of the case not the PSU and it's made out of all aircraft aluminum. Very easy to work with and a Maximum PC runner up.
The only reason I say all this is because I've had cheap plastic cases before... things break easily and they are more difficult to work with.
Just my $.02