Got everything, now what???

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Ok, so I've got everything from newegg, now what?
I can build the computer no problem, I just don't know what to do after I have it all together.
I'm assuming I turn it on and then start installing Windows????
I don't even know what steps to take.

Can someone recommend a good "How To" on installing Windows (XP 64bit) and everything else?

New system:
Asus P5E WS
Q6600
8G of DDR2 800
Windows XP 64bit

Thanks!

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
We'll I don't even know how to do that. I've searched everywhere and can't find a simple "How To".

I just want to know simple steps in starting up a new build for the 1st time and how to go about installing windows and the drivers etc.

I've heard all types of stuff like, floppy disk, drivers, etc.

I'm very technically inclined, I just need a place to start and some instructions.

G

Have you tried to boot your computer?

If its built correctly it should promt you for a disc to boot from since there's nothing on the hard drive.

Just insert the XP disc and follow the instructions. Easy.

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Nope, I haven't built it yet, just the parts are laying on my floor.

I'll be building it tonight.

It's an ASUS board. I'm not sure what will happen once I turn it on.

I'd love a "How To" on turning on a new system and installing OS and etc.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Before you put it the case, put the board on a non-conductive surface, like the box it came in. Install the CPU and cooler, the video card and one stick of ram. Make all of the connections to the power supply, don't forget the video card, depending on which one you have. Power up and short the switch connections on the board and make sure it posts. I fit does, slap everything in the case, set your ram voltage in bios, put in the windows CD and have fun. Good luck, someone will be here if needed.

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I have 8G of ram. More specifically it's two 4G kits. 2G per stick for a total of 4 sticks. Will it be ok to put just 1 stick in? I assumed I would need to put two in and start up with only 4G. Then wait until everything is running right to install the other 4G.

Thanks for your help.