My CD/DVD drive is not reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertpagan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hi.

Several months ago my CD/DVD drive stopped reading everything. I cannot load new software, play CDs or DVDs, and I am no longer able to burn music. I have tried everything, spent hours and hours researching the web, even used Microsoft fixit center, they say the Drive is empty and I need to address the problem. I can load a CD, but then nothing happens. Then it says to load a disc, even though one is loaded. Any ideas would be so helpful. I have a Windows Vista home premium.

Kim

We could go back & forth for days, with me suggesting something and you saying already tried that, so not knowing what you have tried makes it senseless to comment.

desertpagan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Sorry, I guess I didn't give much information. I have a Windows Vista home premium PC. Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor with super multi DVD burner/labelflash with plenty of memory on both C and D hard drives.

Here are the things I have done so far.
Defrag computer.
Updated Windows and all the drivers
Cleaned Registry
Cleaned browser Histroy, Cookie & Temporary Files
Ran Anti-Malware, spyware, etc.
Checked the physical connections outside the computer, did a system restore, and installed Fix-It programs.
Uninstalled and re-installed the CD/DVD driver
Looked in Device Manager for information. Drive listed as working.
As directed on another website I typed in REGEDIT to open the registry editor. Tried deleting the upper/lower filters and when I was done deleting the 2 I found, my computer crashed. I got it back up by doing a system restore.
My DVD/CD burner shows up in device manager, and reports no problems, but still doesn't read disks or let me upload software from a disc, and the Microsoft Fix-it says I have a problem with the driver and is reporting it to be empty.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
kim

1 - Check in bios (F2 setup) that the drive is configured properly -
2 - You have the latest codec packs for cd/dvd installed ?
3 - Disk Management - Shows a valid Drive letter assigned, etc ?

Is your device a SATA, external, USB connected ?
4 - Device Manager: If USB device, expand USB Controller, right click entries and "scan new hardware" .

Status
Not open for further replies.