Closed

My CD/DVD drive is not reading

Hi.

Several months ago my CD/DVD drive stopped reading everything. I cannot load new software, play CDs or DVDs, and I am no longer able to burn music. I have tried everything, spent hours and hours researching the web, even used Microsoft fixit center, they say the Drive is empty and I need to address the problem. I can load a CD, but then nothing happens. Then it says to load a disc, even though one is loaded. Any ideas would be so helpful. I have a Windows Vista home premium.

Kim
3 answers Last reply
More about drive reading
  1. desertpagan said:
    Hi.

Several months ago my CD/DVD drive stopped reading everything. I cannot load new software, play CDs or DVDs, and I am no longer able to burn music. I have tried everything, spent hours and hours researching the web, even used Microsoft fixit center, they say the Drive is empty and I need to address the problem. I can load a CD, but then nothing happens. Then it says to load a disc, even though one is loaded. Any ideas would be so helpful. I have a Windows Vista home premium.

Kim

We could go back & forth for days, with me suggesting something and you saying already tried that, so not knowing what you have tried makes it senseless to comment.
  2. ksiemb said:
    We could go back & forth for days, with me suggesting something and you saying already tried that, so not knowing what you have tried makes it senseless to comment.

Sorry, I guess I didn't give much information. I have a Windows Vista home premium PC. Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor with super multi DVD burner/labelflash with plenty of memory on both C and D hard drives.

Here are the things I have done so far.
    Defrag computer.
    Updated Windows and all the drivers
    Cleaned Registry
    Cleaned browser Histroy, Cookie & Temporary Files
    Ran Anti-Malware, spyware, etc.
    Checked the physical connections outside the computer, did a system restore, and installed Fix-It programs.
    Uninstalled and re-installed the CD/DVD driver
    Looked in Device Manager for information. Drive listed as working.
    As directed on another website I typed in REGEDIT to open the registry editor. Tried deleting the upper/lower filters and when I was done deleting the 2 I found, my computer crashed. I got it back up by doing a system restore.
    My DVD/CD burner shows up in device manager, and reports no problems, but still doesn't read disks or let me upload software from a disc, and the Microsoft Fix-it says I have a problem with the driver and is reporting it to be empty.
    Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
    kim
  3. desertpagan said:
    Sorry, I guess I didn't give much information. I have a Windows Vista home premium PC. Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor with super multi DVD burner/labelflash with plenty of memory on both C and D hard drives.

Here are the things I have done so far.
    Defrag computer.
    Updated Windows and all the drivers
    Cleaned Registry
    Cleaned browser Histroy, Cookie & Temporary Files
    Ran Anti-Malware, spyware, etc.
    Checked the physical connections outside the computer, did a system restore, and installed Fix-It programs.
    Uninstalled and re-installed the CD/DVD driver
    Looked in Device Manager for information. Drive listed as working.
    As directed on another website I typed in REGEDIT to open the registry editor. Tried deleting the upper/lower filters and when I was done deleting the 2 I found, my computer crashed. I got it back up by doing a system restore.
    My DVD/CD burner shows up in device manager, and reports no problems, but still doesn't read disks or let me upload software from a disc, and the Microsoft Fix-it says I have a problem with the driver and is reporting it to be empty.
    Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
    kim

1 - Check in bios (F2 setup) that the drive is configured properly -
    2 - You have the latest codec packs for cd/dvd installed ?
    3 - Disk Management - Shows a valid Drive letter assigned, etc ?

Is your device a SATA, external, USB connected ?
    4 - Device Manager: If USB device, expand USB Controller, right click entries and "scan new hardware" .
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers CD-Rom DVD Drives Windows Vista