How much the oc will shorten the life span of the cpu

dragonalter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Hello all,

i've read many articles about over clocking( advantages,disadvantages ),
but the thing is that they say only that the cpu life span will be shortened due to heating and raising the vcore voltages.

here is my question , if i got core i7 -920 , which have voltage between (0.8 and 1.37 ) overclocked it with this range of voltage lets say around 1.27 and managed the heat via an after market heat sink, will that shorten the life span of the cpu ?!

here is a link to an overclocked core i7 - 920 to 3.6 with vcore(1.27)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=4

thanks in advance

poor cooling and high vcore shorten the life span, if you keep in under ~60ºc and a reasonable voltage then i wouldnt worry too much, eg my Q6600 is overclocked to 3.5ghz, 1.4500v - harmless overclocking, its under 60ºc even under load, should see it till the system is totally upgraded :)

dragonalter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
thanks alot apache_lives thats reassuring :) .
am thinking of upgrading to core i7 cause its been a 6 years that've got my last pc :D

On the other hand Intel proved with the Prescott that heat stress doesnt mean death - most of there chips idled at 50's and once the coolers were filled with dust maxed out around 70-80ºc from what iv seen (not to mention incorrectly installed cpu coolers) without any issues/deaths etc, but at the "designed" voltage etc

Iv seen a few Intels with burn marks and mis-colored heat spreaders from the heat that still work so they can take alot and survive.

One DOA AMD 6000+, one faulty P4 3.0 (9 months old) and an E4300 (windows fails installing but passes in prime) - thats all from my current work in the last few years - cpus are rare to fail if correctly transported/installed etc not to say that they cant be killed otherwise.

Has a P4 3.4 system that blew a psu, replaced it switched it on to have the motherboard vrm caught on fire - burn marks even on the cpu hsf, capacitors around etc - THE CPU SURVIVED PERFECTLY.