LG GGW-H20L Blu Ray/HD-DVD won't read any discs! please help!

letmein2005

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hello!

I'm new to the forums and i've been having massive problems with my new LG GGW-H20L Blu Ray/HD-DVD internal SATA drive! i installed the drive, plugged in the SATA power connector from my PSU, and connected the drive to the motherboard. BIOS and Windows XP SP3 both recognise the drive, but when I put a disc in (even a DVD) the blue LED on the drive flashes but the dvd wont play! when i try to open it in My Computer it normally just crashes my PC. Any ideas?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Specs: Asus M2N68 motherboard
4gb ram
AMD PhenomX4 @ 2.8ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX280
2x dvd-rw drives
1000w PSU

You could have gotten a dud. If it is still new then RMA for a new one.

These things can happen. I bought a LG dual layer DVD burner last year for my HTPC. It worked fine reading DVDs and burning single layer DVDs. The problem started when I tried burn my 1st 8.5GB DL DVD on it (after having the drive for about 4 months).

The first burn would always fail, then the second would burn fine. This occurred with Verbatim DL DVDs from Singapore which never ever gave me any problems. After going thru 10 DL DVDs (5 failed and 5 successful) I finally concluded that it was the DVD burner that was the problem since the 1st burn always failed, but the 2nd burn was always successful.

I burn DL DVDs on my primary PC (which has 2 burners) until I decide to get my lazy ass to order a new DVD Burner for my HTPC.

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
letmein2005,

I have the same drive and had very much the same problem you describe when I first tried using it. I had been using an MSI K9N SLI-f V2 board with an Athlon 64 X2 and Vista x64. Anything beyond a standard DVD would cause the computer to hang and any program running to crash. It actually got bad enough I had to use the Vista DVD to boot again.

I had tried reinstalling the drivers several times with no luck. I put the same drive in a Dell XPS 410 (XP SP3) and it worked perfectly demonstrating it wasn't the drive itself. After reinstalling the drivers for the motherboard (the SM BUS - check device manager - was the culprit for me) from MSI's website, not the CD that came with the board, I got it up and running.

A later build with a new motherboard had no problems with the drive out of the box.

Mickalous

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hello All,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my LG GGW-H20L Blu Ray/HD-DVD. When i put a disc in the drive it tries to play the disc but it takes literary 10mins to load. If i interrupt the drive while loading (ie. closing the program it's loading in.) it crashes my computer.
If I leave it to load long enough it shows a message saying copy protection will not allow the Video to play. However this only happens for copy protected DVDs.
With DVDs with no copy protection, they will play but are completely unwatchable as the are so slow.

I think I may have two separate issues.
1. drive loading too slowly to function properly.
2. Drive not reading copy protected discs.

This is my second drive. I had the same problem with the first one and sent it back for a replacement.
I have all up to date drivers and firmware
If anyone has any ideas about how I can fix this/these issue/s please help.

SPECS:
Gigabyte GA-m52s-S3P mainboard
AMD Athalon 64 X2 6000+
6 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia Ge-Force 8600 GT
Vista Ultimate 64bit

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.