possible psu problem

z0r-

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
My computer boots but there is no signal to the montor. There are no sounds from the speaker so I assume its not the motherboard (though I have tried another motherboard).
I've tried 3 different graphics cards so it can't be that.
I've tried 2 different cpus.
All of this on 2 different motherboards (I had access to a friends.)

should post current specs I suppose
AMD 4000+ AM2
Asus M2N motherboard
1 gb Crucial ram (1 stick)
Geforce 8800gts (evga)

I have a 500w generic powersupply I've tried 3 different graphics cards- a 6600gt, a 7600gt, and a 8800gts. The computer boots to the same state with all of them, but as stated there is no signal
Could this be a power supply issue? I am using a generic pos 500w.
I was also thinking it could be the ram, but there is no ram error through the speaker.
I was just hoping to get some input before I drop money on psu
thanks

Yeah. It could be the power supply. Check the 12v rail ratings on the sticker, and be sure the correct lead is connected to your gts. I would get one of these brands: fortron (sparkle), enermax, antec, corsair, seasonic, or pc power and cooling. You can also try a bare post on a non conductive surface such as the box the board came in or a phonebook. Take the board out of the case; use just one memory stick, cpu/heatsink, and video card. You may have to remove the power supply from the case for the leads to reach the board; connect all the ps leads to the board and video card. Only one you may not need is the power switch lead off the case. You can start the system by touching the power switch leads (2 pins on the board) with a plain screwdriver.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
z0r- I have to agree with z0r- Check the 12v rail ratings on the sticker, and be sure the correct lead is connected to your gts. don't know if it's a 512,320,640 . does the psu show 12 + volt @ what amps?

Boots, but no signal to the monitor. What does that mean?

When you say there are no sounds to the speaker, do you mean the little internal one that gives a single short beep when everything is good before Windows loads? Or do you mean the external audio speakers where real sound comes from?

z0r-

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I had access to a friends psu yesterday. 600w Antec. I get the same results I've described.
Basically, it looks like the monitor is broken, but its not. That's what "no signal" means.
I get the same results when I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on my wooden table. I've even tried another case.

z0r-

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I had access to a friends psu yesterday. 600w Antec. I get the same results I've described.
Basically, it looks like the monitor is broken, but its not. That's what "no signal" means.
I get the same results when I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on my wooden table. I've even tried another case.

z0r-

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I should also say this is completely new. Haven't done anything with the bios, loaded windows, or anything.

z0r-

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This isn't psu related anymore, but since this thread is already here I'll just post here.
With nothing left to do, I decided to pull the cpu. When I took the fan off, the cpu came off adhered to the fan because of the crappy amd thermal paste. There is no speaker beep error (like there should be) but the rest of the computer acts the same, meaning all the fans start up, gpu fan starts. LCDs on the case work, as well does the lcd on the board (asus n2m).
Basically, I think 2 of my processors were bad. I honestly couldn't believe 2 in a row could be bad. I'm basically going to borrow one from my friend who works at a computer store to test my theory.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated, though I'm not sure there is absolutely anything else it can be. I'll keep posting since it won't hurt.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) It could be the RAM.
2) Hook up a cheap Radio Shack speaker to the speaker header so you can hear the beep error code, which might point you in the right direction.