PC to HDTV dvi cable question

Hey all,

I have a pc with a 9800 pro card that has a dvi out. I just got loaned and
RCA D52W20 HDTV/monitor
http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PC=52-61&MN=D52W20 that I will
hook up for audio and some mpeg/videos. I have several ATi video cards that
I have a collection of the VGA > DVI adaptors that came with them. I also
have a VGA to VGA cable that these connectors can be used on each end of the
cable. In other words, I have an adaptor on each end of the (6 foot) cable
making it a DVI cable.

My question is this. Is the newly made DVI cable up to the standards of a
"real" DVI cable? Am I losing something in the process by using this
conversion process? I can still use the vga to dvi if I want, but I was
wondering if I was gonna achieve the most out of my connection by going DVI
to DVI. The cable at the local stores are from 20-50 dollars!

Thanks all,
SL
6 answers Last reply
More about hdtv cable question

    "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have a pc with a 9800 pro card that has a dvi out. I just got loaned
    > and RCA D52W20 HDTV/monitor
    > http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PC=52-61&MN=D52W20 that I will
    > hook up for audio and some mpeg/videos. I have several ATi video cards
    > that I have a collection of the VGA > DVI adaptors that came with them. I
    > also have a VGA to VGA cable that these connectors can be used on each end
    > of the cable. In other words, I have an adaptor on each end of the (6
    > foot) cable making it a DVI cable.
    >
    > My question is this. Is the newly made DVI cable up to the standards of a
    > "real" DVI cable? Am I losing something in the process by using this
    > conversion process? I can still use the vga to dvi if I want, but I was
    > wondering if I was gonna achieve the most out of my connection by going
    > DVI to DVI. The cable at the local stores are from 20-50 dollars!
    >
    > Thanks all,
    > SL

    I suspect that you don't actually have a DVI cable at all. The DVI-VGA does
    nothing but take the analog part of the DVI-I output to the VGA of an analog
    monitor. There is nothing being passed through your cable but VGA, an
    analog signal consisting of discrete R,G,B, and H & V sync. That is all you
    are transferring.

    Leonard

    Thanks Leonard,

    So Is it safe to say that It will "not" work? That is, if I hook the cable
    from the the DVI-out on my video card and plug it into the DVI-In on my RCA
    Television, it will "not" see a digital connection?

    thanks again,
    SL

    SL wrote:

    > My question is this. Is the newly made DVI cable up to the standards of a
    > "real" DVI cable? Am I losing something in the process by using this
    > conversion process? I can still use the vga to dvi if I want, but I was
    > wondering if I was gonna achieve the most out of my connection by going DVI

    > to DVI. The cable at the local stores are from 20-50 dollars!

    Try here:
    http://www.newegg.com

    From the menu on right choose Computer Hardware, Accessories, Cables,
    then use the "Type" drop down box to find what you want.

    Roger

    > Thanks Leonard,
    >
    > So Is it safe to say that It will "not" work? That is, if I hook the
    > cable from the the DVI-out on my video card and plug it into the DVI-In on
    > my RCA Television, it will "not" see a digital connection?
    >
    > thanks again,
    > SL

    Not digital. What you have is a DVI cable with only analog. I said
    discrete RGBHV, but as Dave points out it is actualy component if it comes
    from a DVI-I output.

    Leonard

    "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in

    > "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I have a pc with a 9800 pro card that has a dvi out. I just got
    >> loaned and RCA D52W20 HDTV/monitor
    >> http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PC=52-61&MN=D52W20 that I
    >> will hook up for audio and some mpeg/videos. I have several ATi
    >> video cards that I have a collection of the VGA > DVI adaptors that
    >> came with them. I also have a VGA to VGA cable that these connectors
    >> can be used on each end of the cable. In other words, I have an
    >> adaptor on each end of the (6 foot) cable making it a DVI cable.
    >>
    >> My question is this. Is the newly made DVI cable up to the standards
    >> of a "real" DVI cable? Am I losing something in the process by using
    >> this conversion process? I can still use the vga to dvi if I want,
    >> but I was wondering if I was gonna achieve the most out of my
    >> connection by going DVI to DVI. The cable at the local stores are
    >> from 20-50 dollars!
    >>
    >> Thanks all,
    >> SL
    >
    > I suspect that you don't actually have a DVI cable at all. The
    > DVI-VGA does nothing but take the analog part of the DVI-I output to
    > the VGA of an analog monitor. There is nothing being passed through
    > your cable but VGA, an analog signal consisting of discrete R,G,B, and
    > H & V sync. That is all you are transferring.

    I dunno. The DVI output on the back of my ATI 9550 is connected to a
    component adaptor (from ATI) that puts out 1080i to my TV.

    --
    Dave Oldridge+
    ICQ 1800667

    God is an evolutionist.

    "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Thanks Leonard,
    >
    > So Is it safe to say that It will "not" work? That is, if I hook the
    > cable from the the DVI-out on my video card and plug it into the
    > DVI-In on my RCA Television, it will "not" see a digital connection?
    >
    > thanks again,
    > SL
    > "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> I have a pc with a 9800 pro card that has a dvi out. I just got
    >>> loaned and RCA D52W20 HDTV/monitor
    >>> http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PC=52-61&MN=D52W20 that I
    >>> will hook up for audio and some mpeg/videos. I have several ATi
    >>> video cards that I have a collection of the VGA > DVI adaptors that
    >>> came with them. I also have a VGA to VGA cable that these connectors
    >>> can be used on each end of the cable. In other words, I have an
    >>> adaptor on each end of the (6 foot) cable making it a DVI cable.
    >>>
    >>> My question is this. Is the newly made DVI cable up to the
    >>> standards of a "real" DVI cable? Am I losing something in the
    >>> process by using this conversion process? I can still use the vga
    >>> to dvi if I want, but I was wondering if I was gonna achieve the
    >>> most out of my connection by going DVI to DVI. The cable at the
    >>> local stores are from 20-50 dollars!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks all,
    >>> SL
    >>
    >> I suspect that you don't actually have a DVI cable at all. The
    >> DVI-VGA does nothing but take the analog part of the DVI-I output to
    >> the VGA of an analog monitor. There is nothing being passed through
    >> your cable but VGA, an analog signal consisting of discrete R,G,B,
    >> and H & V sync. That is all you are transferring.

    Try it and see. When I hook the TV's component input to my component
    adaptor, the video card suddenly reports an HDTV monitor and I can send
    it 1080i.

    --
    Dave Oldridge+
    ICQ 1800667