Disabling a wifi connection

Hi,

Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer keeps
connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how to
stop it from happening.

Thanks in anticipation,

Abs
11 answers Last reply
More about disabling wifi connection

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:35:28 -0700, Abs wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer keeps
    > connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how to
    > stop it from happening.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Abs

    Open the properties for the connection. You'll find a place in these
    screens to order the preference of detected wireless networks. If you dig a
    little deeper in these settings screens, you can exclude certain
    connections (adhoc, for example).

    How to set up your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314897

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Go to the Control Panel -> Network Connections
    Right click on the Wifi adapter and click Disable..:)

    --
    obenix

    obenix's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4014

    Just enjoy the free ride?

    "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer
    keeps
    > connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how
    > stop it from happening.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    >
    > Abs

    Its not a free ride. Its a Class 3 felony, under federal law.

    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_new_br.shtml

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message news:O2c$HOfmFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Just enjoy the free ride?
    >
    > "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer
    > keeps
    >> connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how
    >> stop it from happening.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation,
    >>
    >> Abs

    There are so many laws, rules, regualtions etc that everyone is a criminal -
    I am quoting a state attorney from NY or around. The people just got used
    with the idea :)
    Michael

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Its not a free ride. Its a Class 3 felony, under federal law.

    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_new_br.shtml

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Just enjoy the free ride?
    >
    > "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer
    > keeps
    >> connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how
    >> stop it from happening.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation,
    >>
    >> Abs

    Not here

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Its not a free ride. Its a Class 3 felony, under federal law.

    http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_new_br.shtml

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Just enjoy the free ride?
    >
    > "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer
    > keeps
    >> connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how
    >> stop it from happening.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation,
    >>
    >> Abs

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Just enjoy the free ride?

    It's not a free ride, and can interfere with access. For example, a
    client's wireless laptop suddenly stopped being able to send email.

    On examination, it turned out that her wireless router had the default
    SSID, and had encryption on. A neighbor had installed a similar wireless
    router with the same SSID, and encryption *off*.

    The Windows wireless client decides in the case of two identical SSID's, to
    connect by default to the non-encrypted one.

    The big problem with that was that the client and her neighbor had different
    ISPs, and mail relaying is not allowed by most providers; hence, the client
    could not send any emails.

    There is also a rather large security issue with systems randomly connecting
    to unsecured wireless networks.

    And as noted, in some jurisdictions unauthorized use of network services is
    against the law.

    At any rate, opening Network Connections, right-clicking on the wireless
    adapter and choosing Disable will very quickly address the problem.

    -pk

    > "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please can anyone advise how to disable a wifi connection, my computer
    > keeps
    >> connecting automatically to someone's wifi broadband and I don't know how
    >> stop it from happening.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation,
    >>
    >> Abs

    Recently, in California, an opinion was issued that the owner/administrator
    of a wireless network has an obligation to protect the network against
    intrusions and/or random 'intrusions.'
    The obvious problem is that most WIFI users are not educated enough to set
    up their networks properly while the default setups pretty much would hook
    up to any unprotected wirleless networks available.

    Michael

    "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    > Recently, in California, an opinion was issued that the
    > owner/administrator of a wireless network has an obligation to protect the
    > network against intrusions and/or random 'intrusions.'
    > The obvious problem is that most WIFI users are not educated enough to set
    > up their networks properly

    Yes, and another problem is that the router manufacturers do not include in
    their setup utilities anything to force a change to the SSID.

    Otherwise, no argument from me.

    -pk

    > while the default setups pretty much would hook up to any unprotected
    > wirleless networks available.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >>> Just enjoy the free ride?
    >>
    >> It's not a free ride, and can interfere with access. For example, a
    >> client's wireless laptop suddenly stopped being able to send email.
    >>
    >> On examination, it turned out that her wireless router had the default
    >> SSID, and had encryption on. A neighbor had installed a similar
    >> wireless router with the same SSID, and encryption *off*.
    >>
    >> The Windows wireless client decides in the case of two identical SSID's,
    >> to connect by default to the non-encrypted one.
    >>
    >> The big problem with that was that the client and her neighbor had
    >> different ISPs, and mail relaying is not allowed by most providers;
    >> hence, the client could not send any emails.
    >>
    >> There is also a rather large security issue with systems randomly
    >> connecting to unsecured wireless networks.
    >>
    >> And as noted, in some jurisdictions unauthorized use of network services
    >> is against the law.
    >>
    >> At any rate, opening Network Connections, right-clicking on the wireless
    >> adapter and choosing Disable will very quickly address the problem.
    >>
    >> -pk
    >>

    >>> "Abs" <Abs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> keeps

    All,

    Thanks for the info, I have disconnected it!

    Not sure I want to be a guinea pig in the British courts to find out if I
    will be prosecuted or not.

    Cheers,

    Abs.

    There is nothing in UK law you could be prosecuted for, provided you dont
    actually access their PC
    If you allow the public entry you cannot then complain if they make use of
    it. It is the owners responsibilty to deny access.

    > All,
    >
    > Thanks for the info, I have disconnected it!
    >
    > Not sure I want to be a guinea pig in the British courts to find out if I
    > will be prosecuted or not.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Abs.

WiFi Connection Windows XP