Discovered that PCI-Sync oc's higher than pci-Async...will it die?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I have an Intel E2160 (stock= 9x200fsb=1.8ghz) on an Asrock Conroe 1333-D667 mobo which is an i945G/GZ according to CPU-Z.

Other mobo specs:
Revision A2
South Bridge: 82801GB(ICH7/R)

In the bios- in advanced settings- under CPU... I can choose between AUTO, PCI-SYNC, and PCI-ASYNC for overclocking.

AUTO doesn't allow ANY FSB adjustments.
Async allows only adjustments up to 224fsb... (consistently, it has always been like this for some reason)
choosing "PCI-SYNC" has just allowed me to raise the FSB to 230 right now- I assume it will be able to go all the way to 266fsb (my goal)

However, as the fsb goes up- so does the "PCI clock" (it is actually PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1 whatever it is @ 16X speed)

How high can my PCI frequency go? I've read on another forum in an old topic that having the pci clocked above 120mhz messes with the hard drives if you have SATA hard drives.

My pc specs:
The stuff listed above +
Diamond HD3650 1gb DDR2 @ 725 core and 400 mem
4gb Kingston PC5300 ram (only registering 3.2gb though for some reason- even in bios)
Stock CPU cooler
1 (7200rpm) 500gb HDD w/ 16or8mb cache SATAII 3.0gb/s
1 (5400rpm??) 250gb HDD on IDE
LG supermulti dvd rewritable drive

i think that is all.

Please reply SOON, even if you think your advice may not be very useful.... remember: I want to know 2 things:

1) How high is my PCI frequency allowed to go?
2) How high can an E2160 go on the stock cooler?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
sorry for double post: but....

Should I just raise the fsb to 266 and stability test it with the far cry 2 cpu stress tester??

What are the effects of too high of a pci clock?

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
depends what the pci bus is connected to, usually on older boards a spare sata port, onboard sound or a lan nic.
it could cause instability in any of those.
getting a more recent mobo like a 965 or p3x based mobo wil be best, if you have the cash.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008

sorry, new mobo is out of the question.... the only reason I was able to get a new GPU and ram is because I said that the old ram and gpu were broken... (which they were.... sort of.... the cooler/fan on the old gpu was f***** and the ram failed memtests- registering only 1.5gb out of 2gb)

EDIT:

I had the CPU @ 266fsb resulting in a 2.4ghz final clock and a 120mhz PCI-E speed.

I ran it like this for a half-hour or so while browsing forums for answers to my question about overclocking the PCI-E frequency. I REALLY want to keep the CPU @ 2.4ghz or even 3.0ghz (tom's has done it several times with (i think) the stock cooler) However, I am scared that I could fry my mobo.

I ran the far cry 2 benchmarking tool for a few minutes on ALL highest possible settings. (Well, actually no- i forgot to turn on AA) I had CORETEMP running and as soon as the benchmarking session was over- i checked the temperature- only 55 Celsius. .... so unless my stock CPU cooler is able to instantly cool the cpu 10 degrees Celsius in only 1second- then I think I am safe with the CPU..... The PCI-E frequency however, is worry-some.... not because it notice anything bad- but simply because I don't read anything useful that applies to my situation on any forums I have found on Google so far.