need some help on E2180 temperatures.

czochu

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hello. Yesterday i have bought E2180 along with Asrock 4coredual sata 2 for some cheap upgrade to my old p4 which ran on 478 socket.
When i go into BIOS and check temps there it starts on about 29 degrees celsius then rises to 35 degrees gaining 1 degree every minute or so.

Are these temperatures on acceptable level? The cpu cooling is box and according to BIOS it runs on 1800 - 1850 rpm. My power unit (or however it's called) is some low end Tracer 350W. Nothing is overclocked. Voltage on the cpu seem to be somewhat stable 1.25V.

Can i try to install Windows with this kind of idle temps? Cause yesterday i almost burned the cpu due to the cooling being faulty placed and cpu gaining 1 degree celsius every 5 sec going pretty fast to 55 so i freaked out and installed the cooler again replacing the termal paste on cpu.

BTW my first post here so hello everyone and forgive me my noobishness.

Welcome aboard!
No worries as we were all n00bs once ;)

Just a question, did your CPU go to 55C at idle or under load?
If it is under load, you are doing just fine.
That is to high for idle, although 35C is just fine.

If you could post the rest of your systems specifications we would probably have an easier time assisting you.

Here is the Intel Core 2 temperature guide sticky that may have some more useful information for you.

BAUBAU

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
On your board, more than 45*C is too much even for an overclocked CPU running 100%. As you have determined, the cpu cooler was mounted wrong.

I have the same MB and CPU and I can assure you that 35*C and rising in BIOS is OK. You have to know that in BIOS no power saving options are activated, so that's why temps start to rise. As soon as you load an OS, temps will start to decrease.

I recommend you to upgrade your BIOS to this version:
http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase.php?fileid=2312&lim=0
then enable SpeedStep and Thermal Monitor.

Try also Enhanced Halt State (C1E) on, that will save more power and decrease temps on idle. If you get stability problems, put C1E off but leave on SpeedStep and TM2 as those don't have bad effects.

BAUBAU

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Just to let you know, with E2180@2.8Ghz and with an aftermarket cooler (Scythe Mine) in BIOS I get ~35*C, but in OS I get 18*C idle and ~36*C load, with ~39*C after stress testing.

BAUBAU

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Just to let you know, with E2180@2.8Ghz and with an aftermarket cooler (Scythe Mine) in BIOS I get ~35*C, but in OS I get 18*C idle and ~36*C load, with ~39*C after stress testing.

czochu

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

It was at idle that's when i decided to reinstall the fan on cpu and reapply the thermal paste. After that it's 35c idle in bios (though it just got up to 36C after about 10 minutes of idling in BIOS i have no other means to check the temps atm). Just trying to get basic idea if i can proceed with installing windows on the machine without risking the cpu burnage.

My other specs are : Radeon HD 2600 pro AGP Powercolor, 2x 1GB DDRII Elixir, 2 hdd's - seagate barracuda 120 gb and some samsung 80gb (both on ATA) + DVD and floppy drive. I have no idea what type of case i have, it's some no name , silly - looking case i got back in 2002, I'm keeping one side of the case open, temp in the room is about 25 celsius. No other cooling
aparatus than the cpu fan installed whatsoever atm.

Thanks for the link, i will check it out.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Welcome to the forumz.

The bios will put a slight load on the CPU since in the bios, you really don't have the power savings (speedstep) running. Although one feature would be active if enabled, which would be the smart fan. So if your fan speed is reduce, it will not go to full speed till it reaches a specified temp. In other words, when enabled and it is set for 40C, the fan will not run at full speed till the CPU temp is 40C+.

Edit: When disabled (smart fan), the fan should run full speed.

Another note on sensors, you have 3 sensors. The bios will use the single temp reading which is referred to as the Tcase temp.

Basically:

1-Tcase - sensor between the cores or IHS sensor
2-core0 - one DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor)
3-core1 - one DTS

Its important to know that so when you install windows and use temp apps, you need to know what sensor they are reporting. If you don't understand that, then you'll be wondering why some temps are higher then others.

The DTS (also reffered as Tjunction temp) temp should report higher temps then the Tcase temp because they are right on the cores themselves.

An excellent guide to read: Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

From that guide your temps seem to be okay, noting you discovered that the HS wasn't on properly:

Scale 1: Duo
E4x00: Tcase Max 73c, Stepping M0
E2xx0: Tcase Max 73c, Stepping M0
E8x00: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping C0
E8x90: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping C0
E6x50: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping G0
E6540: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping G0

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30-- Cool <-- your somewhere here at idle

I do have a thread on my E4400, which is simliar to the E2180:

E4400 Tcase Temp

That thread was based on getting help in calibrating (SpeedStep) on the Tcase temp, as well as some other things (airflow/ambient temps) that you could fall back on some reference.

Hope that helps.