Sign in with
Your question

Is capacity of hard disk related to capacity of ram for stability

Last response: in Storage
May 18, 2009 9:03:25 AM

hi guys.....i just have this small doubt

does a high capacity hard disk require a higher capacity RAM..........

for example i'm currently using a ddr3 2GB RAM and a 320GB hard disk.............i recently add a 1.5TB hard disk to my system so i want to know if i should increase my ram in order to have a stable system????

My main question is that are hard disks and rams related in anyway???
a b G Storage
May 18, 2009 9:58:05 AM

Not like your thinking. Why do you think this way?
May 18, 2009 10:10:04 AM

so are u saying 2GB is more than enough for 1.5TB or should i opt for a 4GB ram

because i'm using a 4870x2 2GB graphics card
Related resources
May 18, 2009 10:12:56 AM

arokia said:

for example i'm currently using a ddr3 2GB RAM and a 320GB hard disk.............i recently add a 1.5TB hard disk to my system so i want to know if i should increase my ram in order to have a stable system????

No, but the more RAM you have, the more swapfile your system will use by default. Adjustable, BTW, but most users leave it at default, or don't know that they can adjust it.

More concerning to me would be, you do know that DDR3 RAM requires three DIMMS to operate in DDR3 mode, right? One DIMM will fall back to DDR mode, two DIMMS, DDR2 mode...
May 18, 2009 12:30:58 PM

arokia said:

NO there is no relation between hdd size and the amount of ram installed in ANY given system,hdd's are for data storage,ram is for running programs,AND you can buy dual channel DDR3..:) 
a b G Storage
May 18, 2009 12:45:46 PM

Good points made there^ and let me add my 2 cents.
More RAM is better all around, to a point, but it has NOTHING to do with the size of your hard drive(s). It is about the OS your are running, and the applications you run.
Used to be many years ago that more RAM was desired by every single person who owned a PC. RAM was very, very expensive. (I can remember my first 8 megabyte upgrade, for a total of 16 megabytes cost me nearly $400! For 8 megabytes!) So most PC's simply had very little RAM, and adding RAM would result in big performance gains, if you had deep pockets.
Now RAM is dirt cheap, and because of this old feeling about "more is always going to better", some people get a little crazy overboard.
2 gig is a solid amount of memory, but is considered the minimum you want today.
If you are running XP, 2 gig of memory is fine and plenty for most.
4 gig is ton of memory, and will supply the needs of all but the most severe hardcore users.
If you are running Vista, Vista tends to be a memory hog, so you want 4 gig.
There are very, very few people who actually would ever put more than 4 gig to use, but you see a lot of folks running 8 or suggesting more than 4 gig. You simply don't need it, and won't make use of it, unless you are one of those few.
Now the thing we really need to know before we can suggest more memory, is what OS are you running?
You are using a 2 gig video card, if you are running a 32 bit OS, with 2 gig of memory, you have just a hit a wall. Your OS simply cannot use anymore memory, it is at it's 4 gig limit now.
If you have a 64 bit OS, then yes, another 2 gig will help.
(He is running a board that uses 2 banks, or 4 slots for DDR3, not six for three banks like some of you may have been thinking.)
May 18, 2009 5:44:18 PM

RAM is RAM and hard drive is hard drive, the size of either one has no effect on the necessary size of the other.

Croc maybe you are thinking triple channel and dual channel modes but DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 has to do with the data transfer rates and is totally independent of how many dimms are in use
May 18, 2009 9:14:34 PM

I don't make the JEDEC specs, I just read them... If a MB MFG. wants to ignore the specs, I'd probably avoid that MB.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 9, 2010 1:07:02 PM

hai
the RAM and hard disk are not related directly.i am use 660 GB (500+160) hard disc with 1 GB RAM.am use 2 hard discs at a time.
i have only intel pendium dual core procesor(3 mhz).the computer slow when the C drive(system drive) is full.now am get the same speed with the new 660GB hard disc.
July 8, 2011 11:02:01 AM

i was in the same dilemma.. i have 2 GB DDR2 RAM and a 250 GB HDD running 32-bit Vista, i'll be replacing the existing HDD with a 1 TB HDD..

you people solved my problem.. Thank you
!