Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded to Quad Core - but can't get nothing out of it!

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2008 1:39:25 PM

Hey everyone!

I just upgraded to an Intel Q9300 Quad Core, but I am stumped and need some help....

Here is what I have:

ECS 650i Slit-A Motherboard with latest Bios update.
450W Power Supply
XFX 8600 GT
Corsair DDR26400
Pentium Dual Core E2180

I just got the new Intel Quad Core Q9300 yesterday from NCIX, so I installed it but can't get to the BIOS screen. My monitor just says "No Connection".

The motherboard says it can handle the new Quad Cores:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...

I installed the new chip - nothing. Blank screen with no ability to enter bios. So I cleared the BIOS - nothing. I then removed all but one stick of ram and unplugged the power to my second hard drive and burner thinking it wasn't getting enough power from the power supply - nothing.

I then took the chip out again, looked at the pins - everything looked good so I reinstalled it - nothing.

I started to get a little worried so I put the original E2180 Pentium Dual in to see if I really killed something - boots no problem.

Snooped the internet for an hour or so - couldn't find my exact problem. So I went into bios with the Pentium, changed some settings towards the Quad Core, reinstalled it - nothing. Unplugged the unit, removed the battery, cleared the bios for about 5 minutes - nothing.

I then reinstalled the Pentium Dual, booted up, downloaded previous version of the bios, reflashed the bios and installed the Quad again - nothing.

I removed the Quad, inspected the pins on the MB, looked at the contacts on the chip - everything looked good as far as I can tell (that was at midnight last night and getting a little tired). I'll look at the pins today closer. But if I bent a pin, the Pentium chip would be giving me grief, no?

The only thing I can figure, is that it came with an OCZ Vanquisher heatsink and it was very hard to install. I had to put a lot of pressure to get it snapped in. I was really worried about snapping the MB so I put my CoolerMaster back in after I removed the chip the first time. Could I have damaged something? Or am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

More about : upgraded quad core

a c 127 à CPUs
April 25, 2008 1:45:39 PM

This is a much more important page for your mobo. The CPU support page. Most nForce 650 chipsets are not going to support the 45nm Quad CPUs, i.e. any of the Intel Q9XXX series. You can support a Q6600, Q6700, QX6800 or a QX6850. I would suggest getting a Q6600 G0 and using that. It will be good for the current price as well.

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Mo...
April 25, 2008 1:51:46 PM

Boy, this Intel vs nVidia war is getting bad
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
April 25, 2008 1:59:46 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Boy, this Intel vs nVidia war is getting bad

Well nVidia doesn't want to license SLI support to Intel so Intel wont give nVidia full Penryn support for their older chipsets.

And its going to get worse before it gets better too. Larrabee will surely shake up the pot.
April 25, 2008 2:05:15 PM

I would make them refund your money + shipping the page you listed says 1600FSB support for new CPUs but obviously there isnt a Bios for it yet, and probably never will be one for new quads on that board.

Good luck.

Next time go with Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, Abit if you want a quality board.
April 25, 2008 2:06:01 PM

Its not good for either company. People want stability, not 733+n3$$
April 25, 2008 2:08:25 PM

Update the bios.
April 25, 2008 2:08:30 PM

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it - but why does the latest bios update say this:

BIOS Name BIOS for NF650iSLIT-A (PCB:1.X)
Version 08/02/14
Release Date 2008/02/14

Update Description -Added New Micro Code for CPU(Q9550 & QX9650)

-Update NVMM to version 4.074.1010/15/07 and micro code for CPUID 06FB
-Fix S1 & S3 can't be select

I will contact ECS. Anyone want to buy a Quad Core? lol

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2008 2:53:33 PM

I is probably because the bios cant't work out the fact that the L2 cache is half the size or that the multiplier is just wrong.

E-mail ECS and ask if they are planning an update.

Good luck.

You could take it back and get the next one up ... has a bigger cache too.

a c 127 à CPUs
April 25, 2008 2:58:36 PM

mgregory98 said:
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it - but why does the latest bios update say this:

BIOS Name BIOS for NF650iSLIT-A (PCB:1.X)
Version 08/02/14
Release Date 2008/02/14

Update Description -Added New Micro Code for CPU(Q9550 & QX9650)

-Update NVMM to version 4.074.1010/15/07 and micro code for CPUID 06FB
-Fix S1 & S3 can't be select

I will contact ECS. Anyone want to buy a Quad Core? lol

Thanks!

Wow. Looks like yours will support some of them. But as for now it wont support a Q9300 as it has a difgferent microcode than the others. But a 650 chipset supporting a 45nm chip is weird as there are not a lot of 680 chipsets with 45nm support yet.

Quote:
^ ooh I do (wait I only have AMD motherboards.....)

Well thats just sad. I even have AMD mobos, albiet old ones, and even have an old Cyrix chip. You need to diversify your collection. The oldest chip I have is a Intel 486DX and the Cyrix equivalent.
April 25, 2008 3:14:18 PM

Evga was forced to give us an upgrade to the high fallutin 680iSLI mobos that DID NOT support 45nm Yorkfield quads. Neither does 680i Asus Strikers, don't know if they ever got their upgrade, last I heard Asus was considering it.

Thats why I have the 780iSLI now. I have long since returned my QX Yorkfield and plan to stick with my tried and tested Q6600 till Nehalems and just swap the whole mess out.
April 25, 2008 3:19:23 PM

LOL - my collection is getting diversified with this build pretty quick.

I am a Machead since 2000 - but thought I would build a gaming PC for me and the kids (since my Powermac is a dual G5 and the latest games coming out are for Intel only).

This started out as a $400 build. Now I have 2 processors, two cooling units, 4 sticks of ram I didn't want. And now probably a new motherboard coming! lol

I think I am up to the $800 mark. I shouldn't have chinced out to begin with. Live and learn I guess.

What motherboard would you guys suggest?
a c 127 à CPUs
April 25, 2008 3:30:26 PM

The P5K-E series from Asus has 45nm support for all of the newest chips released. It is also very stable and great for OC'ing too.
April 25, 2008 3:55:32 PM

p5n32e-sli from asus also supports the 45 nm with bios 1403, anything up to a 1333 fsb
April 26, 2008 2:53:55 AM

i tend to have luck with Asus motherboards. I'm not sure what chipset. I guess the x38's and the p35's are good from Intel.

I can't honestly recommend nvidia chipsets unless you're dieing to do SLI.

mgregory98 said:
LOL - my collection is getting diversified with this build pretty quick.

I am a Machead since 2000 - but thought I would build a gaming PC for me and the kids (since my Powermac is a dual G5 and the latest games coming out are for Intel only).

This started out as a $400 build. Now I have 2 processors, two cooling units, 4 sticks of ram I didn't want. And now probably a new motherboard coming! lol

I think I am up to the $800 mark. I shouldn't have chinced out to begin with. Live and learn I guess.

What motherboard would you guys suggest?

April 26, 2008 4:49:13 PM

OK - NCIX said they would take the Quad core back at 15% restocking. By the time I send the thing back, it will cost me around 60 bones.

So, I am looking at another motherboard, with everyone's advice, that will allow me to run the Quad Core Q9300.

Take a look at these and let me know if there are any other 'kinks' that I might run into:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27901&vpn=P5...

http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/

And I am leaning towards SLI - I can get my hands on another XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX for a pack of smokes.

I'll sell my ECS and Pentium Dual Core on Ebay.

Let me know and thanks to everyone who is helping me out.

April 26, 2008 7:23:33 PM

Forget it - that board isn't supporting the Q9300.

I'll just get a P5K and drop the SLI.
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2008 7:54:45 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
I would make them refund your money + shipping the page you listed says 1600FSB support for new CPUs but obviously there isnt a Bios for it yet, and probably never will be one for new quads on that board.

Good luck.

Next time go with Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, Abit if you want a quality board.

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Its not good for either company. People want stability, not 733+n3$$

mgregory98 said:

Agreed with above posters.
April 27, 2008 1:38:34 AM

OP. why don't you sell the system in tact with the C2D & 8600GT, flog the Q9300 off on ebay and get yourself a cheaper AMD spider platform around Q9850 for the money? It'll will be faster than the existing platform and less hassel to upgrade in the future and a genuine quad core processor to boot, that like the up comming Nehalem already has four independant cores.

Intel and nVidia are currently at each others throats. It's a nightmare for them, their parners and their customers. Anything Intel + SLi costs an arm and a leg. And you will only run smack bang into this trouble down the track again when you need a new mobo for Nehalem and won't be able to reuse the SLi on the 8600Gt's. So cut your losses now and get into something with some future.
a c 127 à CPUs
April 27, 2008 6:51:28 AM

mgregory98 said:

I would suggest the P5K-E though. Much better quality capacitors and better for OC'ing in the end than the P5K. Good luck. SLI ain't that great. It just gives a 30% boost in FPS really and I am sure you will be fine with the one card unless you want to play Crysis at a decent settings, but that would require a 8800 or 3870 really.
a c 127 à CPUs
April 27, 2008 7:01:04 AM

harna said:
OP. why don't you sell the system in tact with the C2D & 8600GT, flog the Q9300 off on ebay and get yourself a cheaper AMD spider platform around Q9850 for the money? It'll will be faster than the existing platform and less hassel to upgrade in the future and a genuine quad core processor to boot, that like the up comming Nehalem already has four independant cores.

Intel and nVidia are currently at each others throats. It's a nightmare for them, their parners and their customers. Anything Intel + SLi costs an arm and a leg. And you will only run smack bang into this trouble down the track again when you need a new mobo for Nehalem and won't be able to reuse the SLi on the 8600Gt's. So cut your losses now and get into something with some future.

Lets see...dump the Q9300 he already paid for that can easily out perform the 9850BE and have to get a new mobo and new chip. Lets see..... whats cheaper.....

New mobo (P5K-E WiFi/AP): $149.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

New DECENT (no low end crap) Mobo that supports the Phenom 9850BE: $243+$149.99=$392.99

Which is cheaper? Heck throw in a Q6600 with that P5K-E and its still only $369.98, the Q6600 is only $219.99

He was asking for a mobo that supports his Q9300 not a change of platforms. Don't try to change someones mind. And the whole "naitive" crap is useless. His chip will easily blow the 9850BE away.

Thank you and have a great day.
May 1, 2008 3:26:17 AM

WooHoo!

Got my QuadCore rolling! Just installed an Asus P5N-T Deluxe and am currently installing windows. I got a cheap refurbished one from ncix.

This baby fired right up and told me to update the bios to 'unleash the full power of my quad core.'

I downloaded the latest bios to my Mac, sent it to my USB thumb drive and flashed the Asus board in 5 minutes!

So much for the cheap ass pc I built - I am in it for the long haul now!

Thanks to all who helped me out with the correct info!

!