Strange boot-up problem...

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
This isn't exactly a critical problem, it's just that whenever I start up my computer after having it off for awhile, it'll start running just to the point of displaying the BIOS and then it will turn off. Then it will turn on again and work perfectly fine (although my IDE HDDs take about 30 seconds to spin fast enough to get the computer out of BIOS.) Is there any way to fix this? I'm trying to sell my computer, so I can't have weird problems.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
sorry for the double post. Just discovered something weird. Whenever I unplug my computer then plug it back in (I unplug it every night), the standby LED turns on AND the DRAM LED turns on - which is only supposed to turn on when the computer has actually started. Then when I first turn on the computer, the DRAM LED light gets really bright - then the computer shuts off.

Why are you unplugging your computer every night ? Do you have any other electric appliances / devices that you unplug every night ?

I'd start with not unplugging it and see what happens when it's treated normally. But I ma most interested oin the answer above as are you unplugging it because you have wild power fluctuations and you're not using a UPS / line conditioner / surge arrestor ?

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I do actually have a UPS. I just turn it off out of habit - my house is very old and as such I don't trust the power. It seems to work fine if the power's not unplugged. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but I have someone who wants to buy this computer, so I would like to fix the problem if possible.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
On some of the older DFI MB's -some- PSU's had a problem like that due to detecting "power on mode".

Try holding in the ON button for a full secound when booting up and see if that works.