Enabling both cores

oldshirts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I have looked tirelessly for an answer to this, and I am sure someone will point out where I should have looked, so sorry if this is already dealt with elsewhere but I can't find it, I'm sure it's a simple problem that almost everyone should know the answer to, but I don't.

I have an Intel Pentium D 805 2.66ghz in an Intel motherboard based PC, running Vista Ultimate. These factors are unlikely to change.

I used to enjoy seeing my multimeter telling me how fast both my Cores were running, sweet. Then I had a problem with some software or other, can't remember which, might have been "Last FM", and the advice I took was to disable one of the cores so I was only running a single core, so I followed the instructions and made the changes.

Now I want to run both cores again, but I can't remember what I did to change it.

I've run diagnostics such as PC Wizard which tells me my Core 1 activity is 100% but that my Core 2 activity is 0%. My Multimeter tells me that Core 1 is working, but that Core 2 is stuck at 0%. I have run CPU-Z, it tells me there is only one core running.

Can anyone help please? How do I enable both cores?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Access Task Manager.
Choose the Processes tab.
Right-click the process associated with the problem application.
Select the Set Affinity command. (If you don't have a dual-core system, you won't see the Set Affinity command.)
From the Processor Affinity dialog box, set one of the CPU check boxes.

joshmac03

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
i'm not sure if this is it but run msconfig and check the boot tab and then advanced options and check if the number of processors is set to 1 maybe?

nikywilliams

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I know you are using Vista, but in XP you can run msconfig and in the boot.ini tab there is a button for the advanced options, in here you can define how many cores/processors Windows recognizes. Make sure that says 2. Hope this helps.

oldshirts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks Joshmac03, I knew someone would find it, however it only has option for 1 processor, although I think that was where I found it before.

Evongugg, I think I may be getting confused here, I know that everything used to tell me that both cores were working, and I had tried looking to set the Affinity, but when I right-click it is not in the menu.

Is there a difference between Dual Core, Pentium D, Core Duo etc? (well there is obviously a differnece but you know what I mean) Like I said, it always used to work, and now it doesn't. Could my processor be US?