Sign in with
Your question

Home-built laptop...Where can i find a battery???

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2008 4:20:31 AM

Ok, so I wanna build a laptop from scratch. I have solved most of hardware problems expect for the most crucial: the power source. Does anyone have any ideas on how i could use a battery (of any kind) to power my device? I'm low-power components: a pico-itx mobo, probably a CF card for storage, and windows xp pro.
March 28, 2008 5:06:00 AM

well your problem isnt just a power source, its also regulating that power.
March 28, 2008 5:55:22 AM

Just out of curiosity; is this just for fun?
Related resources
March 28, 2008 2:04:34 PM

Kinda, i wanna build a small, lightweight laptop/mp3 player. Something like the Cloudbook or Eee PC. I don't mind buying on of those, I just like building it myself. I'm one of those people.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2008 3:12:08 PM

Car battery + pictopsu DVD - DC PSU(thats the regulator)

For real, you would need to find some kind of small 12 volt battery to use the pictoPSU, but it would more then power your system. (8 x 1.5 batteries[AA] would do it, but i would not imagine the life would be there due to low maH output).

Keep an eye out for some kind of 12 volt lithium battery pack.

What ever you do, POST PICTURES!!!! i like pictures of cool mods and self made devices.
March 28, 2008 3:12:23 PM

buy up an old laptop and scrap its internals. IBM thinkpad with a p3 in it for $100 on ebay or something along those lines. find a battery of size, pull apart the internals to peck out the power functions, etc. You can find already broken laptops for far cheaper.
March 28, 2008 3:17:12 PM

If there's a Battery Wholesale store nearby, they can put one together for you - they assemble batteries from cells all the time. You can allways do what this guy did with his laptop and remote power technology:http://www.daileyint.com/build/buildtoc.htm

And here's a tutorial on rebuilding a laptop battery: http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_3.htm I suppose you could obtain one, reverse engineer it and then build your own but what's the point?
April 20, 2008 5:07:49 AM

Thanks, guys !
This is exactly what i wanted to know.
!