Sign in with
Your question

Factory reset

Last response: in Windows XP
August 6, 2010 5:24:53 AM

Hello,
I purchased iYogi PC tune up and PC #2 is really messed up. I've communicated with their Techs to no avail. The Tech now tells me that the hard drive is corrupt and we need to do a factory reset. The computer is a HP Pavilion 304w and it came pre loaded with no factory disc. How does a person do a factory reset without the disc?
You may write me with some information at, ritt45@casco.net

More about : factory reset

August 6, 2010 6:34:26 AM

ritt45 said:
Hello,
I purchased iYogi PC tune up and PC #2 is really messed up. I've communicated with their Techs to no avail. The Tech now tells me that the hard drive is corrupt and we need to do a factory reset. The computer is a HP Pavilion 304w and it came pre loaded with no factory disc. How does a person do a factory reset without the disc?
You may write me with some information at, ritt45@casco.net

[#0005ff]You can't and not only that, those so-called techs are talkng rubbish. If the hard disk was corrupt, you wouldn't want to install back on to it. What's corrupted is the software on the hard disk and it's their utility that did it. Fortunately, you can overcome it and if you post some details of "really messed up" someone will be able to advise.

Firstly, try System Restore and see if there's a date to which you can revert the system, before you ran that utility. If that works, uninstall the tune-up in Add and Remove Programmes.

If that doesn't work, go to Windows Explorer and select Folder Options from the Tools menu then go to View. Scroll down and tick "Show hidden Files" then further down and untick "Hide Protected System Files", click Apply, accept the warning and hit Enter. Go to the Windows folder then System32 then Config. Check the filenames to see if you have more than two versions of the files System and Software. If one of them is called .previous or .old, post back for what to do next.
[/#000ff]
m
l
Related resources
!