njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hey guys

I am using only 2 gigs of ram so its not a huge issue right now, but my cpu fan/heatsink (zalman 9700) is taking up one of the memory slots on my motherboard. The retention clip is hanging just over the memory slot. I would orient the back plate in another direction, but the heatsinks surrounding the processor are in the way.

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations for a different heatsink?

Thanks.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
thats common for good coolers - yes the 9500 is a good suggestion - i agree and its a good cooler

or a thermal right since they do not block the ram slots - the 90's or the 120's

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for your input guys but buying another cpu fan was not really an option.

I actually solved the problem, but I do not recommend other people to follow suit...lol

I actually removed some of the pushpins holding one of the onboard heatsinks (used for passive cooling or water cooling only) and was able to make that heatsink loose from the board. However, it was connected to the rest of the water cooling parts on the board through a pipe. I slightly bent that pipe so the heatsink was moved out of the way from where my retention clip on the cpu heatsink was. It is entirely made of copper, and it bent extremely easy.....so I think I could bend it slightly back into place if I ever wanted to use the water cooling, although I doubt I ever will.