POV GEFORCE 8800GT 512mb crashing

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hello again everyone

I recently purchased the point of view Geforce 8800 GT 512mb and with a lot of struggle with my first motherboard decided to purchase a INTEL DG31PR motherboard...

Everything was working fine and I didnt really do gaming just ran some benchmarks in crysis and played ut3 for about 30mins...Now I have a problem...The card is crashing...I wonder if its driver or what but I have read some other forums and discovered this might be a common problem on these boards...
I have almost tested every driver from 169.xx to 174.74 beta and tested vista as well...First error that starts up is when I play Crysis on high you dont even make it out of the plane...You start seeing artifacts then polygons start stretching and then I see the games textures one by one(like I would see the characters texture draw falt before me and then the moon and plane) and the game crashes...

Unreal tournament 3 Runs without a problem to begin with but I do see minor glitches and if I play long enough everything turns white...People have told me it is cooling problems but they haven't seen the massive fan next to my computer...My CPU idles at 34c when the fan is on and 46c when it is off and that cools the entire pc...Further I have tried increasing the fan speed with rivatuner...It RUNS at 30% 800rpm and I set it to 100% 2400rpm...When I play Unreal tournament in windowed mode and check temp it just breaks 50c...I have been trying to contact POV regarding this and they say it is a drivers error and must just update till it works...

On the forum I see guys underclock the memory from 900mhz(1800mhz) to 880mhz(1760mhz) and then it works...Is this a general problem and should I just push to return a card coz when ever I return pc parts with my luck it works perfect when they test it....

Any help

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Played RAINBOW SIX VEGAS last night for 1 hour and no crashes or graphical glitches...and I played FEAR...Only crysis...Got it running when I switched all the graphics to low but still major glitches but it runs for a few seconds...

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
OK i kinda sorted it out myself in a weird way...

First of all I don't really recommend this for anyone who does not have the money to waste on a new Graphics card...

First it is a POINT OF VIEW graphics card and I was unsuccesul in finding a bios update for the card and POINT OF VIEW seems to be ignoring my e-mails. So I downloaded 2 other graphics card bios updates...EVGA and ASUS...I used the ASUS update and still got the same artifacts and stalling...So I tried EVGA...It ran fine for about 10mins and then stalled...So I took off the heatsink and checked everything.
Nothing but they have stickers to for heat on the RAM so I removed those and used heatsink paste...(a high quality one that is not crappy as theirs) replace GPU paste and everything slapped on my own custom made heatsink...(old pentium 3 heatsinks welded together)stuck that to the back of the card with 2 fans on that...Increased the voltage from 1.05 to 1.1.
And finally increased the fan speed in riva tuner from 800rpm to 1400rpm...

IT WORKED!!!Finally!!! And I have to mention the card is running cool very cool. Idle is about 24c on the GPU. Under load in crysis yesterday I managed 34c...And that is not with my case fan on so cooling could go further...
How much room does that leave for overclocking? Alot!!! But I am happy that it works. SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could try this but I do not recommend it for I did alot of stuff that should not really be done.