OC: is it the heat or the votage itself that is dangerous?

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Now that I got myself a Xigmatek and dropped my temps about 10 degrees from my Arctic Cooling F7P (another story for another day), I am wondering if I have more OC'ing headroom.

As I OC, voltage seems to be the limiting factor (i.e., I have to keep raising V as OC to keep the OC stable). Can I raise my voltage if my temps are under control? E.g., I have a C0 e8400, and the supposed max voltage is 1.36v (Mobo is set at 1.375, but VDroop typically puts it between 1.34 and 1.36). As I raise my volts, is it still risky for my CPU? My understanding of it all is a bit foggy, but from what I get: high voltage implies high temps; but high voltage is still bad at some level, even if the CPU is cool. Is that right?

Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help guys!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
High voltage is bad for the life of the CPU regardless of the temps. And high heat is also bad for the life of the CPU, if your able to control the heat than you can at least eliminate one of the problems, so you can hopefully get a little bit more time out of your CPU.

This will help you find the max recomended voltage you want in your cpu and max heat. Though personally I have to idmit I like the idea of pushing the cpu as far as I can without increasing either all that much, but thats just me, to each their own.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hi Assasin:

That was a helpful link--thank you.

As for voltage, assuming I stay within reason, is 1.4v bad if temps don't rise, or it still harmful to the CPU.

Temps and voltage are interrelated, but they still independently affect CPU life, correct?

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
it all depends on how long u will keep the cpu if its for mre than a yea or two the 1.5v will be okay, but if u have to keep it for more than a year or so then 1.4 will be fine. im running my e8400 at 1.6v @-40c to see how long it lasts so i dont overvolt my e8600 to much cos i want it to last till the 32nm ones come out.

G

LOL 1.6 volts... thats uberness right there... can probably hit well over 5 GHZ with that much voltage :na:

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
LOL its the voltage, a CPU can hit well over 80degrees Celsius without frying however to much voltage will begin to kill the CPU once i get my Q6600 i will be straping as much fans to my OCZ vindicator pumping the voltage to 1.55volts and getting a 4.2GHZ with my E6320 if im lucky then posting my scores, however i would never go over the recommended voltage on a CPU unless you don't really care about it.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
well its stuck at 4.6 whhich sucks :p and my mobo can only go upto 1.7v in bios, although i can nearly get into windows at 5ghz it crashes at the last sec :p, so am waiting till jan then getting a second hd4870 and then a e8600 and im hopeing to be able to reach 5ghz on 1.5v and 5.5hz for benching.

avidist

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
if all your voltages are set to auto, and all you do is raise the multiplier/fsb, will that will bring the cpu's life span down?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
correct
with new hafnium gates the voltage limit is lower and each shrink reduces insulation thickness