Motherboard standoffs problem

cubetriangle

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Ok, I have a micro atx mobo and a defender case. There are 6 stand off holes that are on top of these little bumps. Then there are a bunch of other standoff holes that are not on top of these bumps. My motherboard requires standoffs that are both on top of these bumps and not on top of these bumps. What do I do? Do I put two standoffs on top of eachother? It appears to be the same height as a standoff with the bump when I do. Or do I not use those non bump standoffs?

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Which motherboard do you have? Model # and brand name, please. It is my understanding that the bumps are built in standoffs. So you would only need to put standoffs where there are no bumps if needed. Again not sure until I know more about your MB.

splashmonkey

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
yes if your case is like mine then the bumps are indeed built in standoffs and you need only put standoffs in the holes without bumps. I have this setup and my system has never had a problem (motherboard never shorted or anything)

If you cant find the plastic standoffs for the other holes, then its ok just to use the 6. Just be sure when your pushing in your memory that you use your other hand to support the end of the board thats doesnt have standoffs under it so you dont crack it by pushing too hard.
The simplest way to avoid that is to install the memory while the motherboard is resting on a flat surface (before you install it in the case.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
They could be built in standoffs as long as there's something non-conductive, like a plastic washer, between the motherboard tray and the motherboard. Especially if the bumps are the height as two standoffs together in a non-raised hole, then that means these bumps are the same height as one standoff. From looking at pictures I found of a Defender computer case, they are built in standoffs. There just should be some non-conductive washer that goes between the bump and the board. You can use the standoffs in the non-raised holes too to provide extra support under the board if you want. It doesn't matter. As long as the board isn't touching the metal of the case, you won't ground the board. And all the times I have actually grounded a board by accident, the board was never harmed. I wouldn't try it on purpose, but I wouldn't **** my pants if it ever happened on accident.

--Arson94

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I stand corrected about one thing, I should have ask what case you had and not MB, because a case that I had a few years back had built-in standoffs.

MrsBytch, There are some cases that have built-in standoffs. I know because I had one and it was a micro atx case for a micro atx motherboard.
Please do not use capital letters when addressing me or this forum that is the same as shouting at someone. Thank you very much.

cubetriangle

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up figuring out they were built in standoffs because the motherboard would have been too high (and not allign with the back panel) if I had put standoffs in the bumps.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Agreed the bumbs are built in standoffs. If you mount the standoffs in the bumbs your mobo wont line up with the i/o shield.

MrsBytch and her husband give false info all of the time. Both of them have no clue. I'd be suprised if they even knew how to turn a computer on.

I've built a tons of systems with bump standoffs. Use the bumps with a washer and put regular standoffs where needed if no bump available.

This is the best advice in this thread...definitely use a non-conductive washer of some kind between the built-in standoffs and the mobo. Heck, I even use washers between the brass stanbd-offs and the mobo just to be sure. I've had to remount one too many mobo because I didn't use a washer...

steverc

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Where can i buy these non-conductive washers at ? I have a Thermaltake RS101 case and installing a ASRocks P55 extreme motherboard in it and neither one has any kind of washers and it looks like i will have to use the six built in stand-offs also.

Some computer stores sell little rubber or paper washers or sometimes they are included with the extra parts that come with a new case but you can actually use masking tape or electrical tape as you just need to provide a non-conductive physical barrier between the motherboard and standoffs.

steverc

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Thanks for the info i will try and find some washers . I am not sure if i want to use tape because of the heat and the glue.