First Build- Need your final opinions before ordering! ^_^

mud

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
After reading and doing some research, I put this build together.

I am still very new to this and I was curious if you guys can re- evaluate the specs of this system.

For example, if everything is compatible with each other, do I need a better power supply unit, or if I can get something for a cheaper price or if there is a better alternative (motherboard, graphic card, memory, etc) ?

Please assist me with your expertise.

Thanks!

:sol:

------------------------

Here is my wish list link from NewEgg:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=10873847&WishListTitle=gaming+computer

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Drop the 1066 / PC8500 ram as you will not need it just gab some good quailty 800/ PC6400 ram and you will save money and will do the same job try Partiot, OCZ , G-skill, Corsair.

deathsycthehe11

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Nice list, looks like you done your research, but here a few suggestion.

Ram: Like the guy above, take it a down a notch to save some money. Get Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 Ram heres one: http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-ballistix-2gb-2-x-1gb-pc2-6400-800mhz-240-pin-ddr2-memory/q/loc/101/202541818.html very cheap with rebate.

PSU: Your PSU is great but also take it down a notch and but I would get the HX one. I'm not sure how different they are but people been recommending the HX one such as this one.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203270716

CPU: I wait to get the newer Quads or the newer core2duos. Just personal preference here though, I like how the new core2duos reach to 4GHz ><.

HD: Like the guy above, 500GB seems to be the sweet spot with performance.

GPU: I personally like to stick to 8800GT as the sweet spot, so I like your GPU choice.

Good luck with your built!

mud

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008

WoW! Thanks for everyone input! I will be ordering today :p

However, I have one last question.

For the mother board ( GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L) specification, it states:

Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1066

*If I use DDR2 800 240-pin Memory, will it work on my motherboard?

IIRC, The 7200.11 is 34 % faster than the 7200.10

As the Asus Burner has won newegg's Buyer's Choice Award 2 months running, it might be worth considering.

Consider the Antec Neopower Blue is $30 cheaper ($99.99 after $60 off special) which will serve will unless you going for SLI / Crossfire or doing extreme overclocking. It has extra long cables which may come in handy in that 900 case.

I have had three 550's among the 9 boxes here.....one's running 5 years, one 4 and one 3 .... each has been slightly OC'd 10-15%.

mud

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
THANK YOU SO MUCH! VERY VERY HELPFUL and I will take your advice!!

I will go with the DDR2 800, which saved me some money, and Ill use the saved money to buy the Seagate 500gb 7200.11.

If it is not too much, I have one final question before I place my order tonight. Anyone have any good suggestions for a good 19' inch /22 inch monitor for a price range of $150- $230 dollars? I looked at Newegg, but I am scared to order monitors when it is shipped, since if the box is handle with pressure (like if it falls), the monitor will be damaged right?

Should I just purchase a new monitor from a local electronic retailer, or is it safe to order online?

Yes, go to a local retailer, and ask to check for dead pixels first. To check it you can just connect it to any PC they have in the store, start Paint, set the image to 2000x2000 pixels or whatever, look at it carefully while it's white, fill it with red, look again, make it black, look again. That should catch them in two minutes if your eyesight is decent enough. I believe Newegg will accept returns if you have 6 dead pixels or more, but I'm not sure.

mud

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008

Thanks, that is actually really helpful information!

I just ordered all my parts on NewEgg! whoo hoo! Thanks for everyone insightful input!

:D

Glad to help. It worked for me at Future Shop and Best Buy, and both my monitors are free of stuck pixels.

I forgot to mention: select View, then View Bitmap, so the color applies to the whole monitor, without toolbars and stuff.

I have bought 4 LCD's and 3 laptops and no dead pixels yet.

As for which one, it's a crapshoot....look at newegg or your local stores for "specials".....you really don't get anything real "good" until you get out of the TN panels. The cheapest I know of is the Lenovo L220x which seels for about $460 when you can find it. It's a 22" 1920 x 1200 S-PVA screen