This is really crazy but I need help... PLEASE READ

stimpy911

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I own a Lenovo Y530 with VISTA that I bought around 2008. Hinges are broke, will not boot into windows, etc...

My wife owns a Dell Inspiron 1525 bought around the same time. The best buy geek squad told me today the hard drive is toast. I brought it in for repairs due to poss virus. I am normally good with this sort of thing but my parents had an account and I could get them to look at it for free. Well, they said the hard drive was dead. It is also a vista machine.

So, I took the hard drive out of my Lenovo and put it into my dell and it actually booted into windows. Of course I have the wrong drivers installed.

NOTE: Neither one came with disc. Both had recovery partitions.

So, can I install dell drivers with this new laptop and keep running? Should I delete all the current drivers first in windows device manager?

I there a way to install vista without a disc? The new drive still has the lenovo recovery partition in place.

Only disc I have is a windows XP disc from an old build I did in 2005. Can I reinstall windows XP?

Tell me your thoughts?

Thanks

stimpy911

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Lenovo will power on and then boot off. Not able to select safe mode.

HD is not dead. It booted. Not able to connect to internet because it is missing correct drivers for ethernet and wireless. I have not run any diags on the HD yet in DELL.

I can buy new hinges on Amazon. I still have to check the connection to the screen.

Not referring to new laptop. Refering to Dell laptop I just put the hard drive in from my Lenovo.

For Dell and Lenovo I have no install disk. Both computers came with PC restore function built in on separate partition.

No idea how to duel boot.