AGP Video Card to replace a broken All In Wonder X800

tgboyes1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I recently gave my little brother my old computer. The video card locks up whenever he starts playing WoW and I am trying to find a suitable replacement for him, but I know nothing about cards that still support AGP. I am looking for performance at or above the X800 which was previous in the system. Could anyone provide some insight. Thanks

Need to know more info regarding your system and where you are based ie US/UK etc so we can match to your system and use the correct pricing and availability when recomending you a card. Also which X800 are we talking about.
Very roughly a 7600GT or X1650XT are the SM 3.0 equivelant of your old card, well probably slightly better :)
Mactronix

tgboyes1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
P4 3.2, 875P Mobo (AGP X8), 2 gig pc 3200, and 2 WD Raptors. I believe that is what is inside. It is like 6 years old so I am hard pressed to recall it completely. I am located in the US. I believe it is the All in Wonder X800 XT 256MB.

Do you know what the power supply is and has it been upgraded at all as they degrade over time and this needs to be taken in to account also. I should have said it was some thing we needed to know in the first place :(
Mactronix

pauldh

Illustrious
To stay at or above X800XT performance you need a 7600GT, X1650XT, X1650GT, or HD2600 Pro. I'd be looking at the HD2600 pro or 2600XT. Then Download the AGP Hotfix drivers instead of regular Catalyst drivers. http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=31542

Have you checked that the fan is spinning on you card? Case fans working or not (reduced airflow). Clean dust/grime off the fan? Remove heatsink, clean thermal paste, and reapply with new thermal paste? I would look into why that card is locking up, but maybe you have done that already.

I won't say update drivers though. I have the same card and newer drivers seem to scew up the capture abilities and functioning of the card.

edit:
$72 AR for a 512MB 2600 pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131081