Sign in with
Your question

Cpu upgrade advice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2008 4:59:10 PM

Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU on my primary computer. It is several years old and as such the Mobo compatibility leaves many "modern" processors unavailable (also the mobo is what is tied to the OEM license of XP Pro, if I understand that license properly). I am planning on building my own pc down the road, but would like to get experience in removing the heat sink & mounting the "new" (to me) CPU & overclocking it. Also, there is the ulterior motive of if I "break" the current system, I'll be able to convince my wife to get a new system sooner (I know, I'm a stinker for that, but I'm really not aiming for my incompetence to ruin the project :) .

The main reason for this post is advice on whether or not this upgrade would see much of an improvement on performance on my current build or not. If it would just be a waste of time, I'm going to just focus my resources on getting ready for the new build. If not, well, then I'm going to tinker around!

Here's my current build:
Mobo: Asus P5ND2-SLI
CPU: Pentium 4 650 (3.4 GHz Prescott)
Ram : 3 Gigs
Vcard: MSI 9600 (this will be transferred to my new build, and replaced with an older card at that time)

The upgrade:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 805
The CPU is supported by mobo with a BIOS update, also VERY overclockable based on what I've read on it. My basic intention with it would be to get it around 3.4 GHz (just to match my current proc), or possibly a little higher.

Well, there you have it. All constructive advice welcome!

More about : cpu upgrade advice

April 26, 2008 6:09:49 PM

I don't believe that the D 920+ are actually supported by the mobo. The Asus website only lists to 840 D's.
Related resources
April 26, 2008 9:41:49 PM

650i do not oc much so use a low fsb cpu

the 2180 is a good choice or the E6600

skip any 1333fsb

max oc is about 1400fsb with 650i, i am sure you know 45nm will not work with 600 nvidia
April 26, 2008 10:58:52 PM

ds, his MB uses an older nVidia chipset that doesn't work with Core2Duo CPUs.
April 26, 2008 11:13:33 PM

Individual programs won't run any faster even with the OC'd 805D, since the 805D is essentially just 2 Pentium 4s on one die. However, in some situations, especially when running multiple programs at the same time, the 2nd core can handle the OS/other app demands, giving the primary app full use of the 1st core, and perhaps a smoother response.
My guess is that it will cost you $30-50 for an 805D, and another $30-40 for an aftermarket cpu cooler to OC it. Consider that a new e2160 CPU OC'd to 3GHz with the stock Intel CPU cooler that comes with it will run roughly twice as fast as that Pentium D 805, but only costs $60-70.
A Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MB should run about $90, and you can reuse your previous RAM as long as it is DDR2-667 speed or faster.
April 26, 2008 11:26:30 PM

Agreed, it doesn't make any sense to buy legacy hardware since they usually carry a premium due to low demand.

You can get budget platforms for pretty cheap nowadays, the system Mondoman suggested is great for budget overclocking.
April 27, 2008 3:04:09 AM

Hm....

Thank you for that feedback. Would you recommend a 2180 over the 2160?
April 27, 2008 6:00:35 AM

Orko1FSAC said:
Hm....

Thank you for that feedback. Would you recommend a 2180 over the 2160?

E2180 or E2200
April 27, 2008 4:25:46 PM

After further review, if I was to do the 2180/2200 it would require new ram to match the mobo. That added expense is more than I'm willing to do for a quick upgrade on the PC that will soon become my backup. Sooo....

I appreciate your replies. For now, I'm going to wait, save my $, and drool over the wolfdale/yorkfields until I have saved the needed funds.

Thank you again!
!