Question about WD replacement policy - advanced replacement

jv_guano

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Dear all

I bought a 320 GB Hard drive, exactly a WD3200AAKS-00G3A0, in January this year. From some month i've been hearing sand-like noises inside it, and finally last week I went through with an advanced replacement RMA.

For those of you that don't know it, with this system WD charges your credit card with the value of the drive they're gonna send you as "caution" that you will send the broken one.

WD hold me 175$ on my credit card, a lot of money (I bought that hard drive in january for 40 Euro, being exaggerated 70 USD maybe...)

Yesterday the advanced replacement drive arrived in my house: it is a WD3200AAKS, but it's a refurbished one, cheapy look with a lot of black gum taps on the surface, I think of these as holes were used to recreate the right atmosphere inside the drive and then filled with this gum taps.

But actually That's not the main problem: when I bought those drive I had assurance that it was a single platter drive by the shop, cos they sent me the complete p/n.

The one WD sent to me it is a double platter drive: I discovered it without opening the sealing bag, just 400 gram versus 650 grams of this one. So it's heavier, it will draw more power due to double platter solution, it will be slower and will be noisier.

Actually, WD states that "product number of replacement drive may vary, but it will be a similar or better drive"
what do you think they mean with similar, just same Gbs?? cos this one is worser, and that's not the case of what they stated above.

Do you think am I wrong not being satisfied with this replacement? I'd like to hear your opinions..
Since I have 30-days of time to send it back, and already 10 days have passed and 10 days will pass to shipping, I'm really frightening of what to do....

thank you very much!

ram1009

Distinguished
I've just had a drive replaced by WD but I didn't do it the same. I sent mine in and they replaced it when they got around to it. Mine was the same drive and didn't appear to be a refurb. You are probably more particular than most customers but never the less, if I were you I would call them on the phone and tell them about your concerns. I think they would prefer to make you happy if they can.