Vsync on or Vsync off?? How do you roll?

Vsync on or Vsync off?? How do you roll?

• Vsync on...

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Vsync off :O

Votes: 47 47.5%

• Total voters

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
It's one of those epic questions, Vsync on, or Vsync off.

Vsync on:
-Perfectly aligned frames, no tearing.
-Less likely to crash.
-Locked at you're monitor's refresh rate. Usually can only go to 60 FPS (mine goes to 75 FPS though... somehow)
-FPS can bog down more then vsync off.

Vsync off:
-Virturally unlimited FPS....
-More likely to crash, but the difference is generally pretty low. (It depends on the card and the game)
-FPS does not bog down.

I'm actually interested to see what the results are. I personally keep vsync on, as I like the frames to be smooth as silk. As far as I know the human eye can't see more then 40FPS, but I'm posting this to see other people's point of view. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I leave it off. It really serves no purpose. When frame rate is low enough that you see tearing with vsync off, turning it on will further drop frame rate, which makes no sense. When frame is high, you won't see tearing anyway, so there's no point in restricting frame rate. :p

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

You are missing the fact that what you ask is a fallacy based on a false dilemma

Let your immediate needs determine if you need V-sync on or off, based on the advantages and disadvantages.

It takes mere seconds and zero effort to turn V sync on or off and judge the results accordingly.

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
as far as i know the eye can notice the difference between 0 and about 120fps (i know i can tell the difference between 60 fps and 85fps). This is an interesting read... http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

my personal favorite is vsync on because of all of the positives that have been stated in the top post + i think 60 fps is alot more playable than tearing. Infact i consider tearing to be barely playable it is that horrible to look at

maybe your monitors refresh rate is 75Hz :kaola: i used to run @ 85Hz on me old crt therefore i had 85fps.

bollix.

EDIT: I think this is an interesting topic and can't wait to see the end results for the poll. :lol:

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
That's why I stated "maybe there's something I'm missing". When I turn Vsync off on CSS, it looks like crap. There is horozontal tearing everywhere. When I turn it back on, it looks fine. Sure the frame rate goes up to 120 on occasion, but the 75 FPS that I normally get instead is fine... I can't tell the difference. Like some people have said here, they can't see the tearing, but I can. In other games I can see the tearing too.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

Yeah my old CRT did too. I was just assuming that everyone had LCD's these days ;)

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
But if the monitor can only refresh 60 times per second (or 75 or 85) does it actually make a difference that your video card is outputting 120fps? I'm missing something here.

No you're not. You are absolutely right. Sort of blows a big hole in the "I can see the difference between 100FPS and 120FPS" argument. You can really only say that if your monitor can output at 120Hz, which few can.

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006

yeah thats a good point. the only reason i could notice the diff between 60 and 85 was because my monitors max refresh rate was 85.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Yeah I have an LCD monitor with a refresh rate of only 60hz. I'm no videophile, though, so anything above 30fps looks good enough for me.

On-topic, though, I have never had any problems with tearing so I completely ignore Vsync unless I want to see exactly how much more I can turn up the graphics settings or do some kind of benchmark.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

That's what I always thought.... then why do people turn of Vsync if it doesn't really change anything, except horizontal tearing... which makes it look worse?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
i use vsync in every game i play. The tearing looks awful sometimes...

The arguments on here about your monitor only being capable of 60 fps anyway are right on. And anyway, whether or not the eye can tell the difference between 50 and 60 frames per second, I'd choose 50 any day if it meant the image wasn't literally being torn to hell.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

I generally run with VSync app controlled, BUT, if Im disappointed or not satisfied with my gaming performance, I may try to adjust (on/off) it . Ill do this because after reading this from Anands "Every time I set up a system, because I want to ensure maximum performance, the first thing I do is force VSYNC off in the driver. I also generally run without having the graphics card scale output for my panel; centered timings allow me to see what resolution is currently running without having to check. But I was in a hurry on Sunday and I must have forgotten to check the driver after I set up an 8800 Ultra SLI for testing Crysis.

Low and behold, when I looked at the numbers, I saw a huge performance increase. No, it couldn’t be that VSYNC was simply not forced off in the driver could it? After all, Crysis has a setting for VSYNC and it was explicitly disabled; the driver setting shouldn’t matter.

But it does.

Forcing VSYNC off in the driver can decrease performance by 25% under the DX10 applications we tested. We see a heavier impact in CPU limited situations. Interestingly enough, as we discussed last week, with our high end hardware, Crysis and World in Conflict were heavily CPU and system limited
" Heres the link from the 9800GTX review http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3275&p=4 So evidently it can make a huge difference, especially in certain situations

leo2kp

Distinguished
I agree, tearing fails more than low FPS. I think it's harder to see what's happening when the picture busts in half vs. the slideshow effect of low FPS. I'd rather have it on regardless.

Its a little more than just locking the framerate to 60 it also locks it to sub divisions or intergers of 60 so if you have a card that can dance along at 120 FPS then you have spare horses and can enable V-Sync and maybe tripple buffering as well if you like.(This helps to ensure the card has a frame ready when the monitor asks for one) But if your hardware is maxing out at about 60 FPS then its likley that when things get busy in game the frames will drop below that but they can only jump between the set numbers with V-Sync on but is free to go any where between with V-Sync off.
Mactronix

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I agree with most people, tearing looks horrible in most games, so Vsync has to be on when I play.

I also don't understand why people say tearing doesn't happen at higher frame rates, because thats BS. If Vsync is off I see tearing at any frame rate in all the games I play.