Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Selection

Last response: in Motherboards
May 20, 2008 7:40:12 PM

I am building my first system. I am not a hard core gamer but I do like games. I am seeking advice as to which chipset I should buy (Intel). I have looked at high end 790i, 780i etc. but am I wasting my money on this high end board when I am not interested in SLI or big time gaming. I am looking for suggestions. Any help would be appreciated!

More about : motherboard selection

a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2008 8:03:53 PM

The 780i and 790i are Nvidia chipsets. There are also Intel chipsets the latest being the X48, x38, P35 and the soon to be reloeased P45. The two Nvidia chipsets you mentioned are SLI capable with Nvidia graphics cards. The Intel chipsets I mentioned are Crossfire capable with ATI video cards. You can use a single graphics card (ATI or Nvidia card) on any of these chipsets mentioned if that is what you want to do. But yes, these are the latest, fastest chipsets on the market and will provide a great start to building a high end system.
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2008 8:08:59 PM

When I think about it, about now you should hope you meet someone like me at the electronic/computer store out on the floor actually selling this stuff :hello: 
Related resources
May 20, 2008 8:30:57 PM

Gosh I don't know about that, I think it would be frighting to meet someone wearing a gas mask in a computer shop. LOL
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2008 8:41:14 PM

Don't be afraid.

May 20, 2008 9:31:00 PM

daleevr said:
I am building my first system. I am not a hard core gamer but I do like games. I am seeking advice as to which chipset I should buy (Intel). I have looked at high end 790i, 780i etc. but am I wasting my money on this high end board when I am not interested in SLI or big time gaming. I am looking for suggestions. Any help would be appreciated!

So...you wanna play games, but just not with good frame rates or with the details really low? Or you wanna play them at the lowest possible resolution.

That comment about not being a big time gamer, but liking to play games.....I mean I'm not trying to rag on you ...honestly not..I've just always wondered about that statement.....you're not the first person to say something like that...you just happen to be the first person I'm asking about it.

It's like saying.......I'll take one and half legs I like to walk, but I'm not really a big time walker

Also what else are you going to be doing with this PC if not hard core gaming, and what kind of budget do you have? I mean if you're going to be doing some big time video editing or something like that...you could end up with requirments close to a hard core gaming rig even though you don't want one.
May 20, 2008 10:19:39 PM

Intel chipsets are by far more stable and better compatibility wise. They also offer great performance. If you dont want SLI as you stated stick with P35,x38,x48 or new P45 when it comes out.
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2008 10:20:53 PM

Agree with chookman.
!