Sign in with
Your question

Hitachi 400GB Deskstar I dropped it now it doesnt work

Last response: in Storage
May 19, 2009 5:05:45 PM

Hi there... I dropped my eternal hard drive.... and now it does not register as being connected to my computer... I am going to take it in to a shop but if it has broken can the data and files still be retrieved... I had 9 years worth of work, photos and music on there... right now I am gutted.... :cry: 
Any advice? I live in Sweden at the moment.
a b G Storage
May 19, 2009 5:40:06 PM

they can be recovered by a data recovery center.. the cost can be outrageous.. upto $1000usd per drive or more
a b G Storage
May 19, 2009 7:17:57 PM

If the drive was powered and spinning at the time, you can either forget it and learn a lesson or pay big money to a professional data recovery firm.
If it wasn't powered or spinning, you *might* be (very) lucky and get away with a new housing.
May 19, 2009 7:24:59 PM

MrLinux said:
If the drive was powered and spinning at the time, you can either forget it and learn a lesson or pay big money to a professional data recovery firm.
If it wasn't powered or spinning, you *might* be (very) lucky and get away with a new housing.

Thank you for your quick reply... it was plugged in and working when I moved my laptop forgetting that I had placed the eternal behind and it was pushed off a low coffee table to the floor. (Carpet if that even matters at this stage....) I guess I will get quote but it looks like I will be saying goodbye to 9 years worth of personal and work stuff. Sweden is so expensive for anything that I expect this will be too costly for me too afford!

Thank you again for your help!
Related resources
!