Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Just bought a new desktop
I bought the G31 motherboard and the E5200 processor
I overclocked my processor to 3.5 ghz

Actually im not satisfied and want to upgrade something
Should I upgrade my motherboard to P45, so that I can overclock till 4 Ghz
or
Should I upgrade my processor to E8400, which has a 6MB cache compared to the 2Mb cache of the e5200?

Anyways, what difference does cache make in gaming?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well being a guy of tons of builds of all kinds, I can honestly say a motherboard or cpu probably wont make you happy.

3.5 is a awsome oc. Its about standard for the e5200. I doubt a better board would get you much higher at all, the chip probably hit its wall.

One thing you could do is drop your multi down from 12.5 to 9 or 10, so you get a faster bus speed through your entire system. (Big Help)

The second thing you can do is run HD tune on your hard drive, because I suspect your hard drive is the main bottleneck.

I built my mom a e1200 OC to 3.2 and it was snappier then my e8400 rig @ 4.0, and I was like WTF. Turned out her HDD was twice as fast as mine. I upgraded my HDDs and viola, the performance I knew I should have.

You need a HDD reading around 90MB/s or higher, after you run the test if you are @50MB/s or less, you definately need a new HDD.

I recommend
ocz core series SSD
Western digital 640 black
or velociraptor.

Cache makes no difference except a minute one in games. With a proper HDD and a fast FSB your system will fly!!!

sa_ill

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well but right now...I have two options, either motherboard or CPU

If its CPU, then its E8400
If its mobo, then then its P45

What should I go for for better gaming performance

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
id say go for e8400 clock for clock its quite a bit faster in games etc than the e5200 but then you will be limited by ure mobo as to how far you can oc the e8400.

You have a pretty well balanced system now. Your current motherboard will not be able to use all the capabilities of an E8400 and a P45 motherboard probably help the E5200 much.

sa_ill

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
hmm I've decided not to go for an upgrade.
I'm going for a nice after market cooler and a sound card!
When the cooler arrives, I can probably OC till 3.8 or 4!!

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I hope your not skimping out on the sound system or headphones than. Get yourself something nice while your at it, something under warrenty as well. And if I may make a suggestion from my personal experience, avoid headsets and get yourself a pair of headphones and than a nice area mic. I say this since I have gone through too many headsets in my time, and it is usually the mic or the mic mute/volume adjust button that is the point of failure. Which also brings me to another thing avoid headphones with a volume control, it adds another annoying point of failure.

I heard sennheiser makes good headphones, and from when I was looking into headphones I narrowed it down to the HD 280 pro, and the HD 555. Both looked extremely good, and if you wait around you can probably pick up the HD 280's for $99 (normal price, though listed at $200) on newegg with another $80 set of headphones for free, which happens every now and than. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough money to pick up a pair around christmas when I see a good deal on them, along with a good sound card.