Sign in with
Your question

Is this overclock good/temperatures safe?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2008 7:17:20 PM

I have an E8500 C0 stepping overclocked to 3.8ghz by raising it to FSB 1600. I've had the computer on for about 3 hours, but only ran Prime 95 for 12 minutes. I didn't receive any errors, but the temps seemed awfully high (almost 60c). Also, I idle at around 39c. Is it possible that this cooler i bought is actually a POS? I've got very good circulation, so I don't think that hot air getting stuck within the case is a problem. If you think the cooler is the problem, could you link me to the best one you know of that it <$45.

Any advice/ tips will be appreciated, and here is a screenshot of the stress test.
November 30, 2008 7:29:40 PM

I get similar results with my e8400. I think it's just the way they are

I get 37 degrees at idle and get to 60 on full load but I have overclocked my cpu to 4GHz.

I have added and extra fan and I dropped at 3 degrees or so.

Check your cooler is installed correctly and is tight enough to be flat on the cpu, I checked mine as I was getting too high temps and there was a screw that wasn't in tight enough, and I could get passed a 3.6GHz overclock as soon as I tightened it I now can get to 4GHz.
November 30, 2008 7:40:59 PM

Most likely the cooler, it doesn't look like a very powerful one from it's specs. Only 32cfm, and a little 92mm fan. Some reviews say it's a bit better then a stock intel cooler.
Related resources
November 30, 2008 7:45:07 PM

Cooler is tight, so that's not the prob, but thank you anyway. I guess the cooler isn't that good (It looked nice and was only $20 at my time of purchase), So I'll try to upgrade to a better one. I have room for a 120mm cooler, so I'll run around Newegg and these forums and find the best one I can. My goal is to have Idle at <34c and load <50c.
November 30, 2008 7:56:10 PM

get a cooler like the tuniq tower or artic extreme cooler
November 30, 2008 8:03:21 PM

also you should note that 60 isn't a horrible temperature for the cpu at all. IMO, just as long as it stays bellow 75 with prime95 small ffts test then you should be fine. No other program will run the cpu as hard as that test, and your actual temps while gaming etc will be much lower.
November 30, 2008 8:07:36 PM

kyeana said:
also you should note that 60 isn't a horrible temperature for the cpu at all. IMO, just as long as it stays bellow 75 with prime95 small ffts test then you should be fine. No other program will run the cpu as hard as that test, and your actual temps while gaming etc will be much lower.

75C for the 45nm chips is too hot. The 65nm chips aren't supposed to exceed 71C under 100% Prime load for everyday use. The 45nm are 65C max under prime load if i recall correctly.
November 30, 2008 8:22:37 PM

There is a sticky post temperature guide about c2d and c2q chips. Its a good read if you are concerned about your temps.
November 30, 2008 8:26:48 PM

lucuis said:
75C for the 45nm chips is too hot. The 65nm chips aren't supposed to exceed 71C under 100% Prime load for everyday use. The 45nm are 65C max under prime load if i recall correctly.

I wasn't aware of that. I thought that the max temps were the same for all the c2d processors, but the maximum voltage changed between the 65nm and the 45nm... Hmm, time for research! :kaola:  Do you have a link to anywhere about this? I would love to see it
December 1, 2008 1:21:07 AM

I think it's actually been updated in the sticky post about temps. I'll check.

EDIT: Checked, it's there, however my info is a little..wrong ><

It appears this particular processor is max at 74C.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2008 2:40:30 PM

Guys,

Let's get this information straightened out. There's no need for speculation. As Blaze85 has pointed out, there is a Sticky at the top of this Forum which was written to provide overclocking enthusiasts with an understanding of thermal relationships, so that temperatures can be uniformly tested, accurately calibrated, and properly monitored.

Intel's Thermal Specifications are for CPU temperature, not Core temperature. This is a very common misconception. Core temperature is 5c higher than CPU temperature. Also, many 45 nanometer processors have Core sensors which are typically unreliable at idle, and often become inaccurate below 50c, but CPU temperature remains accurate up and down the scale if it's calibrated. The Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide can be used to calibrate CPU temperature and Core temperatures by using Section 9: Calibrations.

From the Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Section 1: Introduction

Core 2 Quad and Duo processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature gradient between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Delta. C2Q's have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while C2D's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors.

Section 2: Specifications

Use the following link to match the CPU with Intel's Spec# for... Thermal Specification, (which is maximum CPU temperature, not maximum Core temperature).

• Intel Processor Spec Finder: http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

Intel Thermal Specifications:

(*) The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature... (CPU case, not computer case)...

Section 6: Scale

Scale 1: Duo
    E8x00: Tcase Max 74c, Stepping E0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E7x00: Tcase Max 74c, Stepping M0,TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E5200: Tcase Max 74c, Stepping M0,TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E4700: Tcase Max 73c, Stepping G0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E4x00: Tcase Max 73c, Stepping M0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E2xx0: Tcase Max 73c, Stepping M0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E8600: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping E0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E8xx0: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping C0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W <-- E8500 C0
    E6x50: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping G0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W
    E6540: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping G0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
    --70--/--75--75-- Hot
    --65--/--70--70-- Warm
    --60--/--65--65-- Safe
    --25--/--30--30-- Cool

Tcase = CPU Temperature
    Tjunction = Core Temperature

In order to compare apples to apples, all temperatures are referrenced to Standard Ambient @ 22c. Thermal load testing should be performed with computer case covers removed and all fans at 100% RPM. Prime95 Small FFT's should be run for 10 minutes, since thermal saturation is typically reached within 7 to 8 minutes. If temperatures increase when computer case covers are installed, then computer case cooling should be improved.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
    December 1, 2008 4:20:44 PM

Even though my cpu seems to be within the safe zone, I still plan on upgrading the cooler. Everyone likes the XIGMATEK, so i'll get that and the retention bracket to insure a tight fit. Also, I am upgrading my PSU to higher wattage (500w to 650w) with better fans (2bottom intake, 2 side exhaust) Hopefully this will keep me cool and powered for the next two or more years!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    !