Refurbished components

asoccerplayer99

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I'm looking to build a new computer while minimizing costs. When I got to choosing a monitor, I noticed that one can save a substantial amount of money buying a refurbished monitor. However, I have zero experience with buying refurbished parts, and truth be told, I'm not even entirely sure what that means. Can anyone give me some insight about this? Thanks a ton.

Refurbished components means that they have been used, usually by a school or large corporation, then returned, cleaned and resold.
My first monitor, an old 14" crt, was a refurb.
It worked, but had a cracked overly discollored case.

If you are going with refurbished parts, I would recommend that you keep it to the monitor only.
Make sure whoever you purchase it from has a good return policy in case you do have any problems with it.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
It all boils down to risk verus benefit and how much risk are you willing to take.

A refurb was returned by a customer. Maybe the customer did not like the bezel color, or the unit was too large or some other minor not relevent to you or me type issue. Or maybe the customer found 109 dead pixels and lied about space or color.

Maybe the manufacturer or vendor has examined and repaired the unit. Maybe the manufacturer or vendor just gave it a good dusting and reboxed the unit.

I might buy a refurb that was being used as a floor demo model at OD/Staples etc. Personally I would not buy any other type of refurb monitor. I just don't like risk versus saving $100 or whatever.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
In my opinion dont buy refurbished monitors or motherboards had bad experience with bot, but everything else seems to be okay. Make sure if you buy a refurb product it has a good return policy.